More kicked off the decks in vegas- Calvin Haris kicked off for not playing hip hop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default More kicked off the decks in vegas- Calvin Haris kicked off for not playing hip hop

http://dropthebeatsd.com/2012/06/09/...ecks-at-tryst/

Calvin Harris is no Mark Farina, but this is still pretty hilarious. This is why Vegas will never become the next Ibiza- even pop house isn't mainstream enough. Calvin Haris might be one of the last people I would expect to have to worry about getting booted.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 06-09-2012 at 02:28 PM.

crazy, shows that no one is immune regardless of how big they are

edit: i'm not a huge calvin harris fan, but i bet at least half the club, if not more, was there to see him
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

LOL. That song is gaining a lot of popularity...

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    LOL. That song is gaining a lot of popularity...
    Hey, I just heard you
    your shit sounds crazy
    But play some hiphop
    And I won't boot you...maybe
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

This is getting funny, way to embarrass yourself Vegas lol

I wonder how many top flight DJs are redoing their contracts to state "X$ for 4 hours, but if I get asked to leave the decks it's a X$ + Y% of X".

This is nothing more than a huge waste of time and inconvenience for the DJ's and the promoters should get taxed for it if they think they can make more money by NOT having the DJ play.

Tech Guru

To play devils advocate --- the stance generally is "promoters should know what type of music they are booking when they book guys like Ferrer, Calvin Harris, etc."

Does this mean superstar DJ's are immune from having to read a crowd and play a set that caters to who they have been hired to entertain. The advice of "if you are not prepared to play the gig you took then don't take it" is given to every noob DJ on this site asking about music. Why should these guys be any different. He accepted a gig in Vegas to play for a diverse crowd -- maybe he should've had some hip-hop with him.

Guess Hip Hop in the club scene is not dead.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Till recently Calvin Harris was a guy who would perform his songs live, singing them so I don't think Calvin Harris was counted as a DJ that has super skills on mixing like no other so your reply is not relevant with the situation. Most of the big name' that will play in the clubs are there for their production not for their dj skills.

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Does this mean superstar DJ's are immune from having to read a crowd and play a set that caters to who they have been hired to entertain.
    I think it is generally recognized if you book someone with a name that has been made, that you are going to get that style of music when you book them. I wouldn't expect nor want to go to see LTJ Bukem and hear him play Top 40.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast