Headphone impedance

Default Headphone impedance

Hey guys, did a search and found a couple posts, but not really the exact answer I'm looking for.

I'm comparing a pair of Sony headphones and Sennheiser headphones...
    the Sony has an impedance of 24 ohms and the Sennheiser has an impedance of 32 ohms.

What I'm wondering is this... is the lower the ohms better or higher the ohms better? Does it make much of a difference?

The pair of Sony are on sale now at Futureshop and my buddy suggested I get the Sennheiser ones, which are the same as his. I've got the MDR-V500, so naturally I'm leaning towards the ones that are the next model of mine, as I haven't had many complaints.

Which pair is the better pair of headphones?
    MAKE SMILES
    ACER Aspire 5755 | TP 2 | MIXED IN KEY | S4 mk2 | LPD8 | MDR-V700 | ODYSSEY L STAND
    SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK| TWITTER

I use the v700s and I would definitely recommend them. they sound awesome, plus they look great. Don't know much about the sennheisers though. I vote Sony.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Those are both considered low impedance so you probably wouldn't ve able to really tell based on that. They may very well sound different, but there's a lot more going into the sound than just the impedance. At the price range you're looking I would suggest the Sony MDR7506 or bump up to the Sennheiser HD25 II's. At $100 the Sony's are, imo the best bang for the buck and built much better then either pair you posted. I have both and use them both everyday.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Also impedance is not everything, driver efficiency has a bigger factor to play, assuming you are running with a DJ mixer or controller, either should be fine... both sound pretty damn loud with an iPod or any DJ mixer I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I would suggest the Sony MDR7506
    +1000000 MDR-7506's sound bucket loads better and will last a century - no over-emhisised bass and better isolation. The V700's are notorious for breaking at the hinge and are only any good for live IMHO.

I tried those senny's and really didn't like them when I did .. they just felt too bulky for my tastes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...W5QEKZ9AE4MR19

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    bump up to the Sennheiser HD25 II's
    The HD25's are sweet headphones as well, but at twice the price of the sony's.
    Last edited by deevey; 06-10-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Tech Mentor

Out of curiosity: what makes low impedance better?
    Does it make headphones louder? Better sounding?
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds