Transitioning between genres??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Transitioning between genres??

I have been practicing my mixing skills, mainly between genres, for example, DnB to Dubstep, or electro to house, or dubstep to electro house.

My problem lies in, the only good transition point I can find between two different genres, is the break/build up halfway through a song? Am I not focussing hard enough to find exceptional spots to transition.

I know they all go 4x4 as far as beats/bars. And I know the tempos vary very much, any help is appreciated.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shookstar View Post
    I have been practicing my mixing skills, mainly between genres, for example, DnB to Dubstep, or electro to house, or dubstep to electro house.

My problem lies in, the only good transition point I can find between two different genres, is the break/build up halfway through a song? Am I not focussing hard enough to find exceptional spots to transition.

I know they all go 4x4 as far as beats/bars. And I know the tempos vary very much, any help is appreciated.
    So far i've found that the easiest way to go between genres is the classic turntable stop. Gives some space and acts like a signal that this current genre is done. Traktor has an FX for this (turntable fx) play with the setting till you find the desired effect i.e. longer stop time or very quick stop.

Another thing is to use movie samples. For example I have the sample from Anchorman where Ron Burgundy is talking to the camera as he's about to jump into the pool ("Ladies and Gentleman.... can I please have your attention). I'll just throw this sample at the end of a chorus and then have my new genre cued up.

Ean has a video on Youtube about this....check it out

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Another thing is to use movie samples. For example I have the sample from Anchorman where Ron Burgundy is talking to the camera as he's about to jump into the pool ("Ladies and Gentleman.... can I please have your attention).
    then you could just drop "nosia - cannonball" if your changing to dnb, it's a sick track with that sample
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Echo Freeze! whoooooooossssssh WAM Next genre!

While i'm sure there are surefire ways to get from one genre to the next regardless of song choice, It's a whole lot more fun and creative if you just find your own way to do it.

Like finding songs with out of the ordinary BPM switches, breakdowns that can lead into another (this method works especially with remixes). Hell, Dubstep mixes fucking great with club style rap, very similar BPM and both bass heavy.

I've got something like 40 or 50 songs that I go to if I need to hop genres. Effects and whatnot are also good for Genre switches, butunless you know exactly what you're doing with it and have practiced a ton, it can get messed up pretty quick.

For instance; two tunes that go from DNB to Dubstep 100% seemlessly:

and

just off the top of my head.

the more epic transitions are my secret

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Traktor has an FX for this (turntable fx) play with the setting till you find the desired effect i.e. longer stop time or very quick stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    Echo Freeze! whoooooooossssssh WAM Next genre!
    I've done those too.

Most of the time, I do like what was mentioned before. Find tracks that change in tempo/style, it's somewhat common nowadays to find a drum & bass tune with a dubstep breakdown or intro. Heck, I've already heard two to three trance tracks with a dubstep breakdown as well. Electro House and Dubstep, find two that are similar in tempo or find a (good) track that mixes the two.

I usually switch with and echo freeze while filtering out/filtering in new genre so it kinda sounds like the before-hand is trailing off while the new is coming in
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Was just going to post a similar topic about how do you pull off mixing large BPM swings. Like 109 to 133
    2x Technics SL-12000 mk2 / 2x Numark HDX
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    Novation Dicer / NI Maschine / Kontrol X1 / F1
    TSP2

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Was just going to post a similar topic about how do you pull off mixing large BPM swings. Like 109 to 133
    I think that would be more to the point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast