How long does it take you to plan, practice, and record a mix?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default How long does it take you to plan, practice, and record a mix?

I was just asked to do 15 minute mix by a DJ friend of mine who wants to send it to this local promotional agency sort of thing, mainly EDM. This means in 15 minutes i need to show off a bunch of genres, at my best mixing, etc. I'm going from House to Dubstep to DnB to Hip-Hop/Rap to Moombah, so a lot planning is sort of required

I've been working on it everyday for about 4 days now, and am just now finishing up finalizing the tracklist, and will soon begin the process of planning each transition, making revisions here and there, practicing, and then finally recording. Hell I'll spend 30 minutes to an hour just trying to find the perfect mix between 2 songs.

He messages me today like, are you done yet, and I told him that I am only just about to finish track planning, he was sort of surprised I wasn't finished yet, and it always takes me this long to make a mix. I thought as I got better i would be quicker at it, but as I get better I only get more creative with it, so the time it takes hasn't changed much at all haha..

So, 4 days of mixing, a couple hours each day, only just now finishing up a tracklist.
    Am I just really slow? Or is this just the time it takes to create a solid, good sounding mix.

Tech Wizard

It should take you 15 minutes lol. That's my school of thought. I don't pre plan mixes, except for what songs I'm going to use.

Quote Originally Posted by cazwrx187 View Post
    It should take you 15 minutes lol. That's my school of thought. I don't pre plan mixes, except for what songs I'm going to use.
    Exactly, spend a minute or two looking for a song to start with, but from there I'm just going off instinct and experience. As long as you have you're shit organized you should be good to go.

no no no, not live mixing. This is like a promo sort of thing, I don't know. If i'm live mixing, I usually go by what people are liking, keep it harmonic, etc.

But i'm talking actually recording and making it sound as good as possible, like flexing all mixing skills i've got.

Tech Wizard

Don't know what to tell you man. I'd just mix the way you would mix live. You're misrepresenting yourself if you don't.

Tech Wizard

Try mixing for like an hour or two and then pick your favorite 15 minutes and send it to them.

In that case I tracklist everything and maybe make some little bootlegs to make stuff work better.

mmm... I think you're missing my point entirely. I have 15 minutes, only 15 minutes, to give them an idea of what I tend to spin, and how well I can do that. I kind of get what you're saying, but I don't think perfecting transitions/really putting a lot of thought into a mix is "misrepresenting" myself.

I think what i'm trying to ask is, am I simply taking the time to create something of quality, or do i need to stop being indecisive and get on with my life. What also is causing me to take so long I think is how fast my library grows especially in EDM, and I have so many songs to choose from and can never decide.

It's just an unrealistic thing to ask... You'll never play a 15 minute set.

I could see, if I really thought about it, how it might take me a half day.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wday View Post
    no no no, not live mixing. This is like a promo sort of thing
    That is how I make pall my promos and weekly mixes

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast