Pioneer VS Gemini
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Pioneer VS Gemini

So I was looking to get new CDJs and I found the CDJ900 by Pioneer was exactly what I wanted.
    But then I found the Gemini CDJ700 and it's exactly what I want... and MORE! It also costs less!

So why do people prefer Pioneer over Gemini?

Tech Wizard

The general consensus seems to be that Gemini has less than stellar quality. I can't confirm or deny that but it really haunts their name on multiple websites and keeps me from getting too attached to the 700 unfortunately.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Endure View Post
    So I was looking to get new CDJs and I found the CDJ900 by Pioneer was exactly what I wanted.
    But then I found the Gemini CDJ700 and it's exactly what I want... and MORE! It also costs less!

Quality and name. The Gemini is a good deck. A VERY good deck..........for the money. The Pioneer is built better, feels better and comes from a brand that has earned more trust over the years for having more proven time on the road.

As for comparing the two, the Gemini is built better than most Gemini gear I have played with in the past. It feels pretty solid, and the screen looks decent and has decent touch response. The effects however are not very good, and all in all it just feels less "premium". The CDJ-900 has way less features, but the jog wheel does feel better, and it has Rekordbox for the analysis engine (and a dual player link so you can share drives between units. It should also have higher overall resale value.

Either should serve you well, just depends on what your expectations are. The Gemini feels like it costs less money than the Pioneer, but it also feels worth every penny (if that makes sense).
    VCI400, 2x T120, Korg Km402, guts and glory

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

In a nutshell

• Pioneer has been making high end Audio for years and is trusted throughout the industry
    • Gemini (alot of the time) copies the designs/features of high priced DJ gear, mass produces it cheaply and sells at a knockdown price.

Their DJ mixers had a tainted reliability record in the past and their price makes alot of people refuse to acknowledge that they are actually any good (bit like behringer).

Their CD players though are robust (less moving parts than a DJ mixer), and I mentioned in a previous thread their knock off CDJ500 was actually more reliable than pioneer.

I used to sell bundles of gemini gear until around 2002, nothing bad for the price and their failing was ALWAYS their pots and faders in mixers, rather than gear spontaneously dying or the sound quality -

*They were one of the first budget manufacturers ever to mass produce a dj mixer with three band EQ per channel.

I Think that was around 1997 - horrible screen, but everything else was on par with pioneer at the time.
    Last edited by deevey; 06-11-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Tech Wizard

Alright, so specifically.

Why is the Pioneer CDJ 900 better or worse than the Gemini CDJ 700?

Tech Wizard

The Pioneer has less features: worse
    The Pioneer has a better screen, better jog wheel and Rekordbox librarian: better.
    VCI400, 2x T120, Korg Km402, guts and glory

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MrDudeMan View Post
    The Pioneer has a better screen
    how so? i quite like the touch screen.

better jog wheel
    what about it is better? the gemini looks bigger, so it is more responsive or stable or something?

and Rekordbox librarian
    what's so good about Rekordbox? I never really saw anything special about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endure View Post
    how so? i quite like the touch screen.

what about it is better? the gemini looks bigger, so it is more responsive or stable or something?

what's so good about Rekordbox? I never really saw anything special about it.
    Pioneer:

Screen = Wider, nicer looking and has scrolling waveforms as opposed to static on the gemini.
    Jogwheel = Ring lit, Nicer feeling
    Lan Connectivity between the units.
    Recordbox allows you to manage your music either directly (over lag) or pre-prepared USB keys, set your loops and generally organize without using a third party DVS system.
    You can then use the USB key in a CDJ unit anywhere - its very handy if you are playing out alot and will be encountering them at every gig.

Pioneer vs Gemini is akin to Mercedes vs Toyota - both will get you there with most of the same features but only one is a mercedes and you will notice the difference (however slight) when driving.

This is the first I've heard of Gemini's CDJ700. Looks pretty good. £500 is more expensive than I'd expected to see it for, though...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Dude thats RRP and USD ... current going rate on amazon is 500USD so 350GBP :-O

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast