Traktor + a CDJ with Slip
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor + a CDJ with Slip

Hi.

Just wondering, if I'm running Traktor on my computer and decide i want to control it with a Pioneer CDJ 900 for example, if I load a song onto the deck that the CDJ is controlling and try to us Slip Mode on the CDJ, will it work? Or will traktor get in the way some how?

Tech Mentor

Depends. If you use time code in absolute mode, it should work fine. I doubt it works in relative mode, and definitely not in HID mode since there is no such function in Traktor.

Tech Wizard

Sorry for this noob question, what's absolute mode or relative mode?

Also, could you incorporate a live deck mode with a cdj so that the cdj can use all the features?

Tech Mentor

What's live deck mode? Absolute mode means that the playback head's position on the time code CD/vinyl is reflected in the software, in addition to the playback direction and speed as in relative mode.

Tech Wizard

Sorry, i meant live input. Like, a microphone through live input has all the "features" of the microphone. If you sort of treated the CDJ as a mic, and traktor was only being used to make the sound and basically read what the cdj was doing... if that makes sense.

But anyway, what did you mean by "in addition to the playback direction and speed as in relative mode"?

Tech Mentor

I think you mean time code/DVS control, which is not live input. With a Traktor deck as live input, you would be playing a music CD in the CDJ and the sound would just pass through Traktor, it wouldn't be used to "make" the sound as you say. All you can do to it in the software is to apply effects.

Relative and Absolute mode are the two modes for time code control. I suggest you read up on them in the Traktor manual, that's far more thorough than anything I can write here. In short - in relative mode, the time code device only acts as a playback speed control, and the playback position is determined by Traktor. In absolute mode, the playback position is exactly the same as it is on the control CD or vinyl.

Just to clarify that a little further, if your timecode CD or vinyl is 2 minutes in and you load a track in absolute mode, it'll start 2 minutes in. In relative mode it'll start at the beginning. Also, if you were to loop the cdj in relative mode, the track in the software would carry on playing as normal because it's only tracking the speed of the timecode, not the position.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES