Audio Drop Outs and Crackling on a Traktor S4 NOT CAUSED BY HIGH CPU %
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Audio Drop Outs and Crackling on a Traktor S4 NOT CAUSED BY HIGH CPU %

I am currently having a problem with my Traktor S4 working with my HP Dm4t Laptop. To begin, I'll rattle off my computer specs:

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-540M Dual Core processor (2.53GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz
    • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5450 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA]
    • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Now, let me explain my situation. I used to run Traktor 2.1 or 2.0 in Fall of 2011, and it ran just fine. No crackling, no audio drop-outs... Nothing. Now I upgraded to Traktor 2.5, and I'm having all sorts of audio drop-outs and crackling. However, when I ran a cached version of 2.1, I WAS STILL HAVING audio drop-outs and crackling.

The oddest thing is, I've adjusted latency, my CPU is never in high percentage usage, and my load usually never passes 1/4 of the bar. My computer specs should be more than enough to run Traktor fluidly, and it has before. But now, just recently I've had problems running Traktor 2.1 and 2.5. If I turn off my wi-fi, and close all programs then I can get it to run without crackling, HOWEVER, I never had to do that before...

Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

I do not believe it is my CPU or background processes.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Try disabling multicore support in Traktor.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Try disabling multicore support in Traktor.
    No luck... Tried that.

Tech Student

I am experiencing the same thing with my S4 and I just got the MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Problems occurred after I installed and upgraded to Traktor 2.5. Running the software alone and playing tracks is fine using my internal sound card, but after I plug in my S4 and use its sound card, cracks and pops can be heard when I play a track and pauses every 1 second. I also even tried uninstalling and just use the old version of Traktor 2.1.1 and still having the same problems. I tried to see if the same happens to my old MacBook Pro (brand new as well), and it was fine. On my Old MacBook Pro, I did not upgrade Traktor to 2.5 and it's still in the original version, and it's working Perfectly.
    If anything, it can be because of new Traktor 2.5? Since we both encountered the same problem after upgrading? I have a wedding gig this Sunday, I'm trying to see my alternatives for now..
    1. DJay App
    2. Use Serato that I barely know how to use (just got it)
    3. Use old MacBook pro with Traktor and return MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Quote Originally Posted by Infiltr8r View Post
    I am currently having a problem with my Traktor S4 working with my HP Dm4t Laptop. To begin, I'll rattle off my computer specs:

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-540M Dual Core processor (2.53GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz
    • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5450 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA]
    • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Now, let me explain my situation. I used to run Traktor 2.1 or 2.0 in Fall of 2011, and it ran just fine. No crackling, no audio drop-outs... Nothing. Now I upgraded to Traktor 2.5, and I'm having all sorts of audio drop-outs and crackling. However, when I ran a cached version of 2.1, I WAS STILL HAVING audio drop-outs and crackling.

The oddest thing is, I've adjusted latency, my CPU is never in high percentage usage, and my load usually never passes 1/4 of the bar. My computer specs should be more than enough to run Traktor fluidly, and it has before. But now, just recently I've had problems running Traktor 2.1 and 2.5. If I turn off my wi-fi, and close all programs then I can get it to run without crackling, HOWEVER, I never had to do that before...

Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

I do not believe it is my CPU or background processes.

Usb 3. Does not work.

Same here, i got nearly the same specs as the OP. i% CPU, same gpu but 4GB of RAM. It doesnt appear often, but sometimes i got a little crackling sound in my sets too. Thats pretty annoying, and it didnt show with Traktor 2.1 before....

Tech Wizard

@Infiltr8r
    Traktor 2.5 is the problem. Roll back to the previous version and you will be fine. This is one of many issues claimed by other users in the NI forums.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=168043

Tech Student

ok i hope the info i share with yall can help. im gona try to make long story short to see if we traktor users have the same problem for pc

Tech Student

i hope the info that i share with yall helps. ive been in searching for the fix of the sound issue with traktor for months. so here goes.

THE STORY: (like everyone's lol)
    1. i bought traktor s4 and install the software and everything is great. at that time traktor 2 2.0
    2. i did the update from traktor and got 2.5 and this is were the problem began.
    3. i did update 2.5.1 the problem was a little better but it was still there.

THE 1st PROBLEM:
    1. when the s4 is connected to the pc and keylock is on both decks there a distictive rumbling crackling in the track.
    down load this track to see if we are on the same page. Darkest Hours (Erick Strong Remix) its a trance song and when the vocals start a low bass note starts also. make sure the keylock is on and move the tempo fade to a faster bpm, at this point that bass should be crackling and sounds mechanical.

THE FIX:
    Dubspot has a video of DJ ENDO describing window vista/7 has a cpu spike when the usb is in use. These cpu spikes causes audio dropouts and releases the craklin. Windows has a hotfix just for this problem, this patch from windows was specially made for audio devices using usb. heres the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981214/en-us for the patch and here the video from dj endo from dubspot. in this video dj endo explains how to optimize a pc for djing. i just used the patch.
    Then after you download that patch go into traktor prefences to audio setup and enable mulitcore, then to transport and click on HiQ under Fast Cpu. this setup eilminated all my crackling issues when keylock is on.

PROBLEM #2
    the track that is playing in a deck will pause, crackel or skip when loading a track in another deck.

THE FIX
    goto traktor preferences to audio setup then to settings and change the sampling to 1024.

i hope this helps. i love traktor again lol. ive been fighting this problem since the update. i even tried to go back to the 2.0 version and i still have this problem. the usb patch from windows help alot. please reply to see if this help. --plurism--

ps. here additional info my pc. its a gateway nv55 and i am using traktor 2.5.1

Windows® 7 Home Premium

Processor & Chipset
    Processor Manufacturer: AMD
    Processor Type: A-Series
    Processor Model: A6-3420M
    Processor Speed: 1.5GHz
    Processor Core: Dual-core (2 core)
    Cache: 4MB
    64-bit Processing: Yes
    Hyper-Threading: No
    Chipset Manufacturer: AMD
    Chipset Model: A60M Fusion