How To Maintain Stuff? (It's A Question, Not A Guide)
    Tech Student

Default How To Maintain Stuff? (It's A Question, Not A Guide)

Hi all good people at the forum!

As we all know how our working environment like (i stressed here on smoke)
    i have a question on how to maintain our stuff (including our physic!)

I've been DJing in a place that really heavy on cigarettes smoke and a bit worry about my stuff.

These are the stuff that I always carry

1 My MBP (any suggestion like maybe should i put a keyboard cover there)

2 Technics RP-DH1200 --> Now this is one of the big problem for me, if you know the material, the cigarette's smells are concentrating there (and also etc smells), anyone knows how to keep them off the headphone earcups and the connector between left and right speaker (sorry i don't know the name)

Last but not least and probably the funniest but i must take it seriously on how to keep myself clean after those regular weekly gigs? (not as in stay sober, don't do drugs etc but keep my body clean from the smells especially nose, i really can't take the smells staying in my nose even until i got back home)

Hope to hear from anyone soon

This is something I dont miss. Here in england we've had a smoking ban in pubs and clubs for a few years now, so no more stinking hair and clothes after a night out. I'm a smoker and wont even smoke in my own house now.

Anyway, cigarette smoke is full of tar and nicotine (not to mention the rest), these will stick to the lubricated parts of machinery like glue. e.g. cross faders, pots, your CPU fan!
    They will slowly discolour over time and build up a layer of tar which will impact on the efficiency of the device and in the case of your macbook, make it run hotter.

To properly clean faders you need to soak them in cleaning alchohol, same goes for most electronic equipment. Although Its not advised to dump your macbook in there!

You could also try it on cotton buds to clean out some of the crap.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

I wouldn't soak anything plastic in alcohol (PS tipping drinks on it doesn't count). Doesn't alcohol degrade plastics?
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Student

This is just truly a sad case that i have to face that 3-4 days every week as there is no such policy here in Indonesia
    (you can just totally smoke almost everywhere) and what i have done to my headphones just now, i took the ear cups off
    and put it on my roof on the daytime so at least the smells went off