Legality of Downloaded Blog Music
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Legality of Downloaded Blog Music

Hey DJTT,

I was just curious, is it legal to play blogged music in gigs. I currently use it in my mixes at my house, but was unsure if I was able to bring it to others.

Thanks,

SS

Two words : Yarrrrrrrr and NO
    Unless the blog publishes creative commons content or they have explicit permissions from the artists then its 99% likely to be what we call "Blog House" aka shitty quality illegal rips.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Pirated music is pirated music

Doesn't matter if you play it out or not and it's not like DJing with pirated music is "extra against the law"

Ah but downloading pirated music, then putting it on your blog, and having it downloaded and played at cochella IS extra illegal. Guantanamo bay illegal in fact.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

Also is there a way to tell if a specific blog has certain rights or artists permissions.

If they are offering free downloads of tracks that are for sale on beatport, you can assume they probably don't have permission.

Most of the blogs that do have permission make sure that you know. Check the about page, alot of times they'll tell you there. Take for example thissongslaps.com , it takes submissions from independant djs who want to get there name out there (alot of really good stuff on this one), it also has a couple less than legal songs so the best thing you can do is be careful and research. If you google the song and it's not available for sale on beatport, itunes, or another place where you purchase music, then it's probably some sort of indie music that was released for free. Hope this helps.

Tech Wizard

Well of course, but if they claim to have exclusives, new releases, or even permissions from the artists, and I dig and am unable to find said exclusive anywhere. Is there a way I can validate the claim of the website?

Tech Wizard

Beat me too it Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by shookstar View Post
    Well of course, but if they claim to have exclusives, new releases, or even permissions from the artists, and I dig and am unable to find said exclusive anywhere. Is there a way I can validate the claim of the website?
    and even if they say so it doesn´t have to be this way. a friend of mine had this issue with earmilk (pretty big electro blog). he told me that they put one of his tunes on the blog for free dl without his permission.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast