Traktor + producing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor + producing

I'm looking to bridge the gap between djing and producing a bit. So I want to be able to DJ/Mashup and than make my own beats the fit in on the fly.

So maybe I'll be playing a timbaland beat with a nice acapella in the same key. But to add more of a performance element to it (while I'm not djing) I like to drop the bass in the instrument/main track and come up with my own kick drum patterns and stuff like that.

Preferably done in a tr-808 style. So i could punch in the drum formula (like i push in steps 1-5-9-13) and you get a four on the floor kick drum pattern. That way I can do a bass cut on my main track and slip a custom drum riff in.

Pretty cool hurrrr??? but don't steal my idea. I needz it ta get famous.

haha anyway.. i been doing some real brainstorming. was wondering if any of you guys could help me out? are there any other forum where people would know about external drum machines, midi clock syncing to traktor, step sequencing stuff?

Preferably done in a tr-808 style. So i could punch in the drum formula (like i push in steps 1-5-9-13) and you get a four on the floor kick drum pattern. That way I can do a bass cut on my main track and slip a custom drum riff in.
    Maschine would be perfect for doing that, you could use it in step sequencer mode to program your drum patterns on the fly. Use MIDI clock to sync it to Traktor and you're set.

Here's Richie Hawtin using it in step mode to do live drum programming:

Tech Wizard

Sample Seven: thanks for the reply. This is exactly why I post on forums. To elicit a conversation and possibly get ideas I hadn't considered.

I think machine would be a good candidate.
    Last edited by Ed Paris; 06-19-2012 at 04:28 AM.

deleted some posts in this thread since they were rude and not really helpfull at all. keep the conversation constructive!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

I really like my maschine, but if you don't want to use Maschine……

The traktor manual will tell you how to send a MIDI clock out. After that, any drum machine works.

As for new ones, I'd think about the DSI Tempest first. Really powerful.

haha Richie using his 1200 as a maschine stand
    2x Technics SL-12000 mk2 / 2x Numark HDX
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    Novation Dicer / NI Maschine / Kontrol X1 / F1
    TSP2

Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    haha Richie using his 1200 as a maschine stand
    Maschine and the X1 actually have a dimple in the bottom so that they can be placed over the spindle on a 1200

And Maschine is so big that when you do that, you end up with it sitting on top of the power switch and the headshell…with that tiny, hard to find hole that'd be really hard to finagle in a dark environment……and because platters spin, it's really easy to smash it into the tonearm while you're drumming on it……so it'll eventually damage the turntable to do it. If it's a club's turntable…whatever. If it's yours, though, that's a real plus……pretty soon, you'll have to fix something and be saddled with learning to solder or costly repairs, which will make you question why you haven't switched to a controller yet. And since you're so happy with the new, plastic shiny…of course you'll go with the S4.

I think the X1s are actually long enough to bang into the tonearm too. Do it enough and the whole world will be rid of the scourge of vinyl turntables because they'll all be broken.

It's really an awesome feature.
    Last edited by mostapha; 06-19-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Didn't need the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Do it enough and the whole world will be rid of the scourge of vinyl turntables because they'll all be broken.

It's really an awesome feature.

Spinning controllers while destroying 1200s in the process, now that'd add some showmanship to a DJ set!

Tech Mentor

I personally use Traktor + Ableton with 1200's and a APC40. In the market for another APC40 =) to do exactly what your talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast