Ableton not loading an mp3
    Tech Wizard

Default Ableton not loading an mp3

I have an mp3 that I want to add to a Live Set, but Ableton doesn't load the mp3. Not in the file browser on the left and not when I drag it to Arrangement or Session view. There's nothing wrong with the file itself, since Media Monkey has no problem playing it and neither does Itch. The other files in the same folder load into Ableton correctly, just not this file. Copying the file to a different location didn't make any difference. So why does Ableton not play it's audio?

Kio

Tech Mentor

YOu must have the latest version of quicktime to have ableton read mp3 files. Try that out and reply.

Tech Wizard

Default Didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by hrtbrkd View Post
    YOu must have the latest version of quicktime to have ableton read mp3 files. Try that out and reply.
    That didn't work. If Ableton really needed Quicktime for mp3's (which I doubt since Quicktime is Apple, so it would make more sense for Ableton to need Quicktime to handle m4a files) then all my other mp3's would also not work. But they do, so mp3's are no problem for Ableton, only this one mp3.

KIO

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Ableton does need Quicktime to decode some MP3.

Try getting a MP3 tagger such as Kid3 and remove the tags from the file or simply put the file in an editor and save it again.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Try getting a MP3 tagger such as Kid3 and remove the tags from the file or simply put the file in an editor and save it again.
    Hey that did the trick! Tx! I opened the file in Goldwave and saved it as a new file under a different name and then Ableton opened the file as normal. Now I would like to know what in Ableton's opinion changed to my file? I use Media Monkey to tag all my files. This particular file is part of the ID&T Top 500 and is tagged just like all the 499 other tracks in that album. All these other tracks load into Ableton without any problems. Even the new file that I created copied the meta data as part of the new file, so I don't believe that Goldwave actually kicked all the meta data out of the file.

Any ideas?

KIO

Tech Mentor

http://www.ableton.com/articles/mp3-...g-error-code43 Yeah Ableton does need Quicktime but the above was the next step in fixing your issue. http://www.ableton.com/answers/havin...ding-some-mp3s

•Win and Mac:
    •make sure QuickTime is up to date
    •check if one of the following characters is present in the file path and remove them: ? [ ] / \ = + < > ; : ” , | *
    •verify that the network storage is connected correctly and online
    Last edited by padi_04; 06-29-2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: merge

Tech Mentor

if nothing else, you can create a copy of the file as a WAV file in itunes, and keep the original file. the wav will open in abelton and be a separate file not tied to the mp3 at all.