buying a launchpad.. thoughts on live vs launchpad edition - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

So i was considering purchasing the same launchpad with the Live Lite edition and I was wondering can you upgrade up to Live 8 edition from the launchpad edition? If so what is cost on that if anyone knows?
    This is essentially the only thing holding me back from getting a launchpad.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1mco View Post
    So i was considering purchasing the same launchpad with the Live Lite edition and I was wondering can you upgrade up to Live 8 edition from the launchpad edition? If so what is cost on that if anyone knows?
    This is essentially the only thing holding me back from getting a launchpad.
    Thanks
    Yes you can upgrade. Its still pricey, but you save about 100 bucks if memory serves me correctly vs. the full retail price.
    Look into the educational discount if you qualify for it, their definition of student if fairly liberal, though they do make you prove it.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by MWagner View Post
    Yes you can upgrade. Its still pricey, but you save about 100 bucks if memory serves me correctly vs. the full retail price.
    Look into the educational discount if you qualify for it, their definition of student if fairly liberal, though they do make you prove it.
    Sweet! and does anyone know if their is another thread about routing Ableton into Traktor or vice versa? im not sure which way woud be best?

Didn't dubspot.com have some sweet tutorial videos on that topic?

I have owned Ableton for a while and then bought the Kontrol x1 with traktor and it was a nightmare trying to get them to play nicely. I have been more impressed with Imaglines Deckadance software showing as a vst in ableton than traktor. I took back my traktor Kontrol x1.

Ableton has been known to offer upgrades at 33% off so the jump from Live lite to Live Full to Live Suite is not that far out of reach when they offer it.

I have the launchpad and love it. Its a fantastic tool for ableton. I highly recommend it. I cant comment on how cool it is with Launchpad edition.
    http://soundcloud.com/razzlesnaz
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Razzlesnaz/
    http://mixlr.com/razzlesnaz/
    Ableton Suite 8.3/Reason 5/ Sub Boom Bass /Massive/Razor/DCAM Synth Squad/ Akai MPD26/ Novation LaunchPad/Traktor 2.5/Kontrol S2/Kontrol S4/ Kontrol F1/Radium Keyboard/Focusrite Saffire 6/UC-33e

I have a Launchpad, but QUICKLY became annoyed with the Launchpad Edition of Ableton. It didn't take long to upgrade to the full version. Actually, when I decided to upgrade, they were having a deal where you could upgrade to the Live Suite for like $99 more (normally its like $250 more). Suite has more stuff than I need (that's a whole other discussion), but overall I am glad I upgraded. The Launchpad is a fantastic controller. It's integration with able ton is great. I considered both and APC20 or an APC 40, but opted for the Launchpad and I couldn't be happier. I augmented it with a Korg nanoKontrol2 for channel volumes and a Behringer BCR2000 for more knobs (endless encoders with led rings) than I can shake a stick at.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

i have live8le that came with my launchpad and also a full version of live5. just checked in my ableton account and it's 269eur to upgrade from my live8le or 149eur to upgrade from my live5. i haven't used live8le much, or even have it installed atm, but given how cheap the launchpad is i think it's pretty cool software given that it's basically free. i've been holding off to see if bitwig pans out before deciding which way to go.

i route audio from mixxx into live5 atm and it's pretty simple to setup - same goes for traktor that i was doing before. you could also route from ableton into a traktor live input deck that i did as an experiment. for midi sync it seems best to sync traktor with ableton rather than the other way round but either is simple to setup - at least on a mac - maybe not worth it on a pc, don't think the sync will be as stable. i'm using soundflower for routing audio on my mac but jack should do the same job on a pc.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

THE APC20 cost me £175.00+VAT and to go from the apc version to the live 8 was too much for me... i just cant stand the thought of buying a fully functioning midi controller thats built to work with software, and then being bent over to to get the full version... it just seems a bit like a big middle finger to the buyer
    These are 2 completely separate companies ?

The only thing you actually bought was a mid range controller (only) designed to work with a specific software (or others) and essentially getting you got the lite version of Ableton as a freebie which happens to include a hefty discount for the full version should you need it, Live lite is plenty enough for alot of musicians.

I'd hardly call it being bent over or the middle finger.

By your reckoning you should get a free Car when you buy a bodykit that included a paint job as part of the package.

Just as well you didn't buy a VCI400 or Numark 4Trak

Banned

I think the Launchpad Edition of Live would be less of a middle finger in your face if trying to use 70% of the sound presets didn't result in a "Sorry no workie for cheap assholes"-dialog box. Why even include it if it's not gonna work?

I've been producing with FL Studio since it was called Fruity Loops 1.75, but tried out Ableton (again) when I got my L-pad, I'm not extremely impressed seeing as the Launchpad works BETTER natively in FLStudio (10.6 beta with performance mode). No need for silly midi return maps and stuff. Everything is mapped out like a champ with transports, a much more detailed mapping for mixer channels etc. I'm still gonna learn Live inside-out though, seeing as FL 10.6 is still beta and not really stable enough to do a gig on yet (some memory leaks etc).

Tech Student

Default Would like to know more about nanoKontrol + Launchpad combo

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyNerd View Post
    I augmented it with a Korg nanoKontrol2 for channel volumes and a Behringer BCR2000 for more knobs (endless encoders with led rings) than I can shake a stick at.
    I'm also interested in the Launchpad + nanoKontrol2 combo... I don't like the step-mixer system on the Launchpad.

My only concern is whether the assignment of the nanoKontrol faders and buttons would follow the clips that are currently mapped to the Launchpad if the launchpad window is scrolled around?

Anyone got this combo and can comment?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast