buying a launchpad.. thoughts on live vs launchpad edition
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default buying a launchpad.. thoughts on live vs launchpad edition

hi guys, im taking a step into ableton for the first time, and looked into using the launchpad.. it ships with its own launchpad edition software.. does this allow use of the drum racks like the ones mad zach release? or do i need to update to full live 8.. i also use sertao and have since v1.1 and i love it can any one point me in the direction of some help using the bridge... thanks

Launchpad edition is just like Live Intro/Lite, IIRC.. Lite comes with impulse and you can load up to 8 samples into Impulse to jam out with. So yes you can play with the MadZach releases you just have to use multiple instances of Impulse to achieve more the 8 sample slots.

And from what I remember the Bridge only works with Full version of Ableton, not the lite/intro/launchpad/akai versions.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Ahh, don't be such a ***.. Coming from someone who has paid for a legit version of Suite, Ableton is everything and more, well worth the investment. Just buy Live 8 and leave Suite alone if you plan on using a lot of plugins.. Support the company whos products you use, especially Ableton. At this rate we will never see a Live 9 'cause everyone will just pirate Live 8... I feel a dongle coming on in the near future.......
    Last edited by photojojo; 06-25-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by m00n View Post
    I feel a dongle coming on in the near future.......
    Could live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RockingClub View Post
    Could live with that.
    I honestly wouldn't either.. But he's not hurting me either, just kind of irritating if you ask me.

sorry if it irritates you but sumtimes i cant in my head justify paying for software after shelling out for hard ware... i just scooped a open box apc20 but the cost to upgrade to live from the apc version pissed me off

Quote Originally Posted by durtyjerzy609 View Post
    sorry if it irritates you but sumtimes i cant in my head justify paying for software after shelling out for hard ware... i just scooped a open box apc20 but the cost to upgrade to live from the apc version pissed me off
    Yeah. And I always like to have something physical either. At least a nice product package or an installer DVD. It's always hard to justify paying 100s of bucks for something more or less virtual.
    Selling bundles of hardware and software as a company (like e.g. NI Maschine) is a good way I guess.

THE APC20 cost me £175.00+VAT and to go from the apc version to the live 8 was too much for me... i just cant stand the thought of buying a fully functioning midi controller thats built to work with software, and then being bent over to to get the full version... it just seems a bit like a big middle finger to the buyer

To each their own.. Like I said I see Live 9 have some sort of dongle to keep the pirating down, and im 100% for that. If you can't pay it stick with reaper or the 10 other cheap DAW's... If you want a live performance tool/DAW then you should be willing to shell out some cash.

Tech Convert

I have Live 8 Lite and it's like being a kid in a lolly shop with his mouth sewn shut.

I can set up a single impulse track to work with an MPD 26 to get 8 samples mapped to 8 of the pads, but when I drop in a second impulse track so I can map samples to the remaining pads, the first impulse stops working and I'm left with nothing. The presets on the MPD and the I/O settings on the first impulse device are still exactly as they were, and the midi indicator lights still flash when I press the pads but no sound. The tracks are still active, the samples still play when I click them with the mouse, nothing else is changed but the extra impulse.

**EDIT**
    So THAT'S what track arm is for....

Drum Racks can't be edited with Intro so I can't use them for triggering samples either. The closest I can get is dropping the samples into clip slots which leaves me without pressure sensitivity or looping functions

It's a bit of a let down, all I want for now is to be able to trigger more than 8 samples with a bit of sensitivity for ghost notes and maybe a couple clip slots. I'd be great if I could use all 4 banks for the pads... *EDIT* Intro version can do 8 impulse tracks for 4 banks of 16 pads. noob mistake...

Intro has a fair few limitations but there's still plenty there.
    Last edited by Dunce; 07-15-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: figured it out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast