Had my first official gig!! let me hear about yours
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Had my first official gig!! let me hear about yours

Had my first gig ever out of the bedroom. Ran into some technical difficulty when my music wouldnt reach the surround system in the house. The set went really well (90 percent improv and even managed to remix a couple country songs very awesomely due to some decent request that i couldnt turn down.) Everyone was dancing having a good time except for 2 stuck up bitches who were sitting in the kitchen by themselves and kept yelling for me to play "Drake - the motto" and when i didnt i was officially named the worse dj ever . So in retaliation i played sandstorm cause u no everyone LOVES that and track and knows its the best song in the whole wide world of music in general . *trollface Neways played for a good 8 hours and eventually drove an hour home in the sun rise to go to a booty call . OVERALL EPICNESS = 8.5/10

So theres my story let me hear about your first gig...

Dwonka27

Booty Call.....Well done bro!

Nice!...good feeling innit?

Mine was too long ago to remember....so will leave it there.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Wizard

My aunts welcome reception for her wedding. It was in Mexico on this stone patio like thing right on the beach. It was a destination wedding, so that in itself was awesome. My aunt is pretty cool and so are her friends and husband's friends, so of course everyone had had some drinks and even the older folks were having an amazing time dancing. I also had no controller. Just a keyboard and mouse. It was about 3 hours and at one point I had to put on a 15 minute recorded mix so I could eat dinner and calm my nerves and I didn't realized that by me doing that, I actually ended up repeatig a few songs. Nobody seemed to care. I got a request for Frank Sinatra I couldn't pass up (groom's mom) so when I played that, all the older folks went wild. It was like I was back in the 60's. As the night went on people had a little more to drink and a ton of people, far more than I even knew what to say to, came up to me to thank me and tell me how awesome I was doing. One lady wouldn't stop requesting Katy Perry so I had to play it (it was my first gig ok?! Lol). It was an amazing and over all very memorable experience. I had never had that rush before, so it felt good to perform live, even at a basic level.

Then, the next night at the actual wedding, I had a whole big bunch of people come up to me again at different times and say I did a far better job than the DJ who was playing the wedding reception. Many of these people i'd never met before. He was using CDJ's with Virtual DJ and was less than mediocre (not that I was anyone to judge at the time lol). I wasn't sure if people were just being nice, or serious, but it felt great either way. That's when I knew that I wanted to stick with this and even if I just play around in my bedroom once a week or so, I would still love to do it. Hopefully when I turn 18 I can get into some local clubs and play out a little there, or DJ parties in college. I don't mix that much anymore because I spend a lot of time working on another project online, but when I get to do it, I absolutely love it. Chills every time.

Your story sounded great, glad to hear it went well. Cheers!
    "My friend's cat's hairdresser's botanist told me so." -Newg

Congrats bruv It feels good to take things to the next level!

I've my first club gig next week, so fucking stoked. Had fun doing house parties and after-parties, but I'm so stoked to actually get out to a real venue.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    Congrats bruv It feels good to take things to the next level!

I've my first club gig next week, so fucking stoked. Had fun doing house parties and after-parties, but I'm so stoked to actually get out to a real venue.
    yeh i wanna get it down down before i start tryin for big big gigs just gonna try n get some small little concerts/parties before i step into the club scene

Tech Wizard

I'd like to hear other people's too
    "My friend's cat's hairdresser's botanist told me so." -Newg

Mine was a 14 year olds birthday party.. Easiest $400 i've evr made but God i dont think I can do it again.. That teeny bopper music just gets at me!! I'll stick to bedrooms and lakes!
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

All I remember about my first out of the bedroom gig I had at a mates house party, well not exactly remember but I do re-call jello shots, leg cramps about 3 hours in the set, jiggalatin, and a girl with plenty of junk in the trunk . A good night in my book
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

i did a bunch of house/hotel parties for friend's bdays and all that jazz.

my first "real" gig was at a busted down hookah lounge with another dj friend of mine. i was actually surprised by the turnout as i managed to sucker about 25+ people into showing and there were a couple of walk ins which basically filled the place up. i was spinning deep house (with a lot of world cuts a la 6 degrees records) since i thought it was a good fit for the venue. i didn't get any money even though i packed this dude's place. he did offer me some free dinner but i declined.

on my last song i was playing a nice mellow, progressive type deep track by 16 bit lolitas since my other dj friend was stepping up after me and he is more of a hard trance dj. i figured he could take my track and work up the energy slowly. i remember a group of people coming in on my last song and they were nodding their heads to the beat while giving me the look of "good tune man." well, i packed up all my stuff minus the one cdj playing and my friend got on the decks and immediately train wrecked in a raging super hard trance track with an energy level of like 15. the group that walked in looked at each other, shook their heads in disbelief, stood up and left (they were there for literally less than 2 minutes)...shortly after that all of my friends ducked out as well and there were only a couple of random people left from the 30+ i accumulated through the night. btw, i'm not friends with this dude anymore due to his extreme ego and shit talking of anything but vinly djs (or deejays as he spells it) and his completely misguided understanding of well, everything really.

i played there one more week and asked about compensation since i was basically filling up his whole place every time and he told me he couldn't afford it. i told him i wouldn't be returning until he could pay me (so never basically) and his business eventually closed about 1-2 months later.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    i did a bunch of house/hotel parties for friend's bdays and all that jazz.

my first "real" gig was at a busted down hookah lounge with another dj friend of mine. i was actually surprised by the turnout as i managed to sucker about 25+ people into showing and there were a couple of walk ins which basically filled the place up. i was spinning deep house (with a lot of world cuts a la 6 degrees records) since i thought it was a good fit for the venue. i didn't get any money even though i packed this dude's place. he did offer me some free dinner but i declined.

on my last song i was playing a nice mellow, progressive type deep track by 16 bit lolitas since my other dj friend was stepping up after me and he is more of a hard trance dj. i figured he could take my track and work up the energy slowly. i remember a group of people coming in on my last song and they were nodding their heads to the beat while giving me the look of "good tune man." well, i packed up all my stuff minus the one cdj playing and my friend got on the decks and immediately train wrecked in a raging super hard trance track with an energy level of like 15. the group that walked in looked at each other, shook their heads in disbelief, stood up and left (they were there for literally less than 2 minutes)...shortly after that all of my friends ducked out as well and there were only a couple of random people left from the 30+ i accumulated through the night. btw, i'm not friends with this dude anymore due to his extreme ego and shit talking of anything but vinly djs (or deejays as he spells it) and his completely misguided understanding of well, everything really.

i played there one more week and asked about compensation since i was basically filling up his whole place every time and he told me he couldn't afford it. i told him i wouldn't be returning until he could pay me (so never basically) and his business eventually closed about 1-2 months later.
    Unless i would have other gigs that i would be missing out on i woulda prolly still played for him since im new to gettin out there instead of in my basement drinkin beers and mixing i prolly would have continued playing to get my name out there although i completely understand were you coming from... It seems if the place was filling all the time u played there u could have maby made some sort of good long term contract with the dude once he got back on the floor with his business.... and as for the hard trance dj with a huge ego .. although i love trance id never drop it unless the timing and location are perfect. u cant progress with mellow minimal house then jump to 175bpm trance lol thats not how that works.... newways thanks for sharing man sounds like it was pretty epic for ur first time and for the dude to bomb it to bad u didnt have someone there with ur same style...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast