..:: Tarekith ::.. "The Wrong Tree"

Default ..:: Tarekith ::.. "The Wrong Tree"

New downtempo track!

Details on the production process are on my blog:

http://tarekith.com/the-wrong-tree-new-tarekith-track/

Wav, FLAC, MP3 and Ogg versions available exclusively through Addictech.com:

http://www.addictech.com/p/103294

There’s an ambient version also available too!

http://www.addictech.com/p/103295

Direct link to the 320kbps MP3 now up:

http://tarekith.com/mp3s/Tarekith-TheWrongTree.mp3

With all of the hardware work I’ve been focusing on lately, it’s been awhile since I fired up Live and just let loose with all the tools at my disposal. Figured it was time to write something new, focus on the software side of things for a little bit, and not limit myself in terms of what gear I used.

So, the start was a basic beat I cooked up on the Machinedrum, using the drum samples I have stored in ROM on it. The drums in the song are multi-tracked pretty much straight from the MD’s out into Live. Just so I could do the arranging in Live, all the beat-making was on the MD.

Once that was recorded into Live, I used Omnisphere to record some simple synth pads to give the track some tonality. Just some basic sounds I didn’t even use in the end. With that recorded and playing quietly over the drums, I did some passes with the guitar. Basic signal path was from the Dragonfly to the Pod HD500, then direct into the Fireface400. Or I went straight from the built in pick up on my Ovation acoustic guitar. Recorded a lot of fun guitar sounds in that session, used most through out the track later on.

At this point I had only been working on the song for a couple of hours, and for some strange reason got it into my head I wanted to use some weird trippy vocal in the track. Broke out the mic, then took a break. Scribbled down some crazy words on the way back from the grocery store for lunch.

I recorded a few takes of those into Live, comped together the best bits real quick, and then loaded it up in the Octatrack. I also export a stem of the track playing without the vocals to load into the OT as well. This way I could add my tweaks to the vocal, while listening to the rest of the song at the same time. Worked great, I did some really trippy pitch stuff along with some weird distortions, everything you hear on the vocal is all from the OT.

At this point I had the basic song sketched out, but I did some more passes playing Synplant, and Omnisphere using OmniTR on the iPad to tweak it. Love that combo, such a fluid way of quickly coming up with new sounds. Anyway, with that last pass done, I spent a few days arranging the track in Live and doing a rough mix along the way.

After a few days of adding fills and transitions, as well as fine-tuning the arrangement, I took a couple days away and gave my ears a rest. Came back to it a few days later and started editing and removing parts that now I could tell didn’t add much to the track in those sections. Exported it to Wave Editor where I added just a touch of limiting via Pro-L. Nothing else was done in the mastering stage apart from dithering.

Very cool track, not sure if it's Soundcloud or what, seems to be lacking some "punch" (or maybe that's just me ).

Good stuff mate, you people need to get on this! This is what good music is all about!

TRue that Jason, the T is right on!

(I am just the small t )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --