Cheap BEHRINGER Class D Amps - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Did it? Good and cheap are not words I would use in the same sentence

that's because you are pessimistic.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    You'll need three just to actually get the power that they advertise as well. Behringers numbers (power wise, and maybe everything else too) are pure bullshit from what I've read. I don't claim to know a lot, but people who do (almost none of which post on this forum)... who are pro audio guys... all seem to say that the numbers Behringer advertises are no where near what their products actually pump out. If you've measured with voltage meters, etc., then I stand corrected.
    I have eight EP2500 amps. They are solid workhorse amps (and RMX clones). I use a volt meter to set limiters for every event...and these amps will deliver what they promise in terms of voltage. The EP1500's I used were also able to deliver their rated voltage.

I mostly do professional dance competitions...the amps might get 100-ish hours of continuous use over a 4 day weekend. I am NOT kidding...there is music in the ballroom for competition, dancing, late night dancing, early morning practice, workshops, then repeat....24 hours a day starting on Thursday evening until Monday morning. I typically run a 4ohm load per channel, and hard limit at about 40volts (~200w per box). So, I certainly let the system "coast" over the weekend. I have provided sound at almost 60 events in the 5-ish years I have owned these amps. Conservatively, I have more than 5000 hours of use on each amp without ANY issues at all.

I do not have any experience with the new lightweight amps...but based on my experience with the EP's....I'd be willing to give the lightweight stuff a try.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by audiolive View Post
    Did it? Good and cheap are not words I would use in the same sentence
    Vestax (still the king of cheap mixers IMHO)
    Echo (their cards ABX in line with Apogee)
    Native Instruments (as much as they piss me off) vs. Serato and the like.
    Peavey (amps; guitar amps; etc.)
    Apple Logic (so much cheaper than other DAWs besides stuff like Reaper).
    Reaper.
    Mellowmuse (their vintage line is cheap for what it is and is apparently well-regarded…demoing their summing emulation now)
    Korg (nano series…though it's a bit of a stretch…the nonkontrol2 is missing a lot compared to better daw controllers but it also costs 1/20 as much)
    Akai (their small controllers are pretty good compared to other cheap stuff)
    Presonus (specifically the StudioLive mixers…24 channels with decent preamps, good converters, FW, and full channel strips for $3300 ?!)

They're all pretty cheap for what they are and are either well regarded or just plain cheap for at least some of their lines without sacrificing performance or reliability…

Tech Guru

Seems a bit strange to find this product at Walmart of all places! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Behringer-...260420&veh=cse

Best buy sells basically NI's non-DVS catalog: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...egories&ks=960

or even weirder: You can buy Waves Platinum at Best Buy

They also sell some of the cheaper Avid PT bundles. I think I saw an MBox + PT10 @ my local one at some point.

Stores are branching out in what they sell. I think it has to do with google shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    I have eight EP2500 amps. They are solid workhorse amps (and RMX clones). I use a volt meter to set limiters for every event...and these amps will deliver what they promise in terms of voltage. The EP1500's I used were also able to deliver their rated voltage.
    Why do you use volt meters to set limiters? I've always been under the impression that amps are the last thing in the chain before speakers. Either way, you should share your findings over at DJForums. There is a load of people that would probably love to discuss that.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Best buy sells basically NI's non-DVS catalog: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...egories&ks=960

or even weirder: You can buy Waves Platinum at Best Buy

They also sell some of the cheaper Avid PT bundles. I think I saw an MBox + PT10 @ my local one at some point.

Stores are branching out in what they sell. I think it has to do with google shopping.
    $1500 for that little box of WAVES PLATINUM ! . WOW ! I would love to see that face of the cashier when she scans it.

>

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Why do you use volt meters to set limiters? I've always been under the impression that amps are the last thing in the chain before speakers. Either way, you should share your findings over at DJForums. There is a load of people that would probably love to discuss that.
    How can you set limiters accurately without a volt meter?

I set my gain structure through the whole signal chain - and everything will clip at "the same" level within some reasonable margin. The thing before the amp in the signal chain is the PA manager (which has a ton of stuff including para EQ on the inputs, crossover, para EQ on each output channel, and the limiter on each output).

I run a pure tone (1kHz for tops, 60Hz for subs) through the system, turn the amp input gain all the way up, and then turn the limiter down until I get the max voltage from the amp that I want. From that point on, the limiter can NOT be raised...but everything in the chain can be safely turned down.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

I'm not sure... that's why I was asking.
    In my experience, I did it by eye. Anything that went past green on the mixers was going to get squashed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast