Next generation traktor controller?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Next generation traktor controller?

Is it possible NI might be working on a new S4-like controller (it's already been out almost two years) in the near future or will they just continue riding the success of the S4/S2 and release small units like the F1 to accompany their S4/S2?

Ideally, I'm looking for a controller with functionality similar to the VCI-380 and Twitch, but 4-channel and with actual traktor integration, so preferably by NI. Anyone think this might be up NI's alley?

Since they haven't had any problems with them, don't hold your breath. These controllers are extremely versatile and very few people have bad things to say about them, kind of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of deal. Look around in the maps section, their might be an already exisisting map to one of these controllers that will work for you. If not, make one, it's not that difficult and will let your controller be exactly what you want it to be.

They've had LOTS of problems with them, and lots of us have TONS of bad to say about them... (seriously... the drivers for the S4 were just finally fixed like a year ago)

Don't be fooled, "actual traktor integration" Is BAD thing. The (VERY few) benefits of their proprietary system are all midi-mappable concepts that anyone could make hardware for, if NI would just add them to the controller manager. NI's new business model is making features that you have to buy their hardware to use. The problem with this, is that unless they build their own new mapping module, they can't let you access these features AND make custom mappings, otherwise anyone could make a controller that takes advantage of these special privileges. So to take advantage of their bullshit proprietary system (that is inferior to 16 bit midi ANYWAYS), you have to use their stock mapping, or come up with hacks and workarounds to squeeze some slight customization out of it.

But to answer your question, I doubt they'll release anything that makes their old controllers obsolete. They're not interested in improving, they're interested in selling new gimmicks.
    Last edited by faderswagger; 06-20-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Dang didn't realize any of that, I just hadn't heard anything bad from the people I know with the s4. Sorry for the misinformation caide.

I'm thinking maybe an xy pad will come next, seems like that's the only piece of current technology they're missing...

although thinking about what's needed it would be mad to make a touchscreen vga/dvi monitor with the dimensions of 21" 32:4.5 that's a 16:9 monitor cut in half height wise but double the length... then you could place it directly in front of your controller and use a mac mini or similar to display all the information you need, bye bye laptop wall...

someone needs to make this!
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

I didn't mean to go off, I just feel obligated to give the other side of the story on traktor... We're on a forum full of traktor fanboys who won't listen to a bad word about NI, so i always try to keep people from forgetting how shitty NI is. I still use it myself, but i can't wait for a platform to come along that lets me do what i do without having to put up with NI's bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    although thinking about what's needed it would be mad to make a touchscreen vga/dvi monitor with the dimensions of 21" 32:4.5 that's a 16:9 monitor cut in half height wise but double the length... then you could place it directly in front of your controller and use a mac mini or similar to display all the information you need, bye bye laptop wall...

someone needs to make this!
    Yeah man, really hoping that alternatives to laptops on stage are the next big thing in the industry. Been working on a custom solution for that problem using usb screens... If Mil0 will ever get back to me about his view switching macros for clonething, I'll be able to perform with my laptop closed.

Although I'm really hoping touch screens don't further catch on... At least until a few years down the line when we develop physically dynamic screens. I really hate touch controllers.
    Last edited by faderswagger; 06-20-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by faderswagger View Post
    Yeah man, really hoping that alternatives to laptops on stage are the next big thing in the industry.
    Windows Surface mang

yeah I hate touch controllers too, but being touch means you don't need to use a physical keyboard to search for tracks as you could use the onscreen one.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by attila View Post
    Windows Surface mang
    Well tablet PCs have been around for a while, and in terms of physical space, it would take up the same. Only advantage of windows surface would be that they probably have some kind of virtual mouse and keyboard built into the OS, like android/iOS. This means you could interact with traktor without an open laptop.

Problem is that there's no knowing yet if surface will even support Traktor/VDJ/serato, I would honestly doubt it, especially for the first year or so.

Tech Wizard

It'll support any Windows program

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast