Help needed on NI and USB 3.0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Help needed on NI and USB 3.0

Been looking all over the lovely internet, but at no avail..

I have been saving for 3 years since i bought my last macbook.. Finally it was time.. But not being savy when it comes to computers i foolishly decided to listen to the salesperson in the applestore, and left with a brand new macbook air.. lovely machine.. fast and light.. BUT.. he failed to mention that theres a difference between the pro and air usb ports.. and even though i showed him the requirements for traktor, he advised me to go with the air..

So here i am.. With a broken setup as i cant get my trusty old Audio 8 to work.. So what now?.. Is there any known fix for this?.. I found none.. Do any of the other NI audio cards work with usb 3.0?.. Found none here too..

So are there any audio cards that work well with traktor AND usb 3.0?.. Or am i just fucked?..

If anyone has any suggestions, solutions or ANYTHING constructive, plz add.. im angry, and desperate and sad.. And unable to digital dj..

There's a lot of audio equipment that doesn't have drivers compatible with usb 3.0, which is why I'm glad my laptop has both 2.0 and 3.0. One solution is buying a powered usb hub (which are pretty cheap I believe...20 maybe 30 dollars?) and put your audio 8 into that. This one is 25 dollars, has 10 usb 2.0 ports, and has great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-USB-P...owered+usb+hub

This one's even cheaper, with 4 ports instead of 10: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-2-0...owered+usb+hub

Tech Convert

What is a "powered" usb hub?.. I have already tried with this cheap one i had lying around (danish, price is roughly 13 USD) :

http://www.avxperten.dk/pc-tilbehoer...2.0)-stack.asp

That one made no change.. Is the one in the link different from a "powered" one?..

A powered usb hub gets power from an external source, as in an actual plug, rather than your computer's usb port. I think a powered usb port would be exactly what you need...Try one out and see if it works.

looks like we got our 1st Mac user with USB 3.0 driver problems with the audio 8.

I would suggest to open up a trouble ticket with NI and keep us posted with any updates.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

JesC, do you think a powered usb 2.0 hub would be a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by KryticalH!T View Post
    JesC, do you think a powered usb 2.0 hub would be a solution?
    TBH, i would say its a temp fix, but personally Im not all for hooking the Audio 8 to a hub. Before you start buying hubs, try out a hub that you have lying around at home.

One thing I would suggest is to reboot your Mac, open up console, and plug in the audio 8. It will show you what errors the mac is giving you. That will also help NI to figure out what the hell is going on with the drivers.

Can you post the error msg your getting in console via text or screen-shot (apple+shift+3 or 4) of what your getting?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Convert

Gonna try the powered thing later today, if i can find one in a physical store..

Made a ticket with NI yesterday aswell, and as for the console, i get these

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25277028/Scr...11.24%20AM.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25277028/Scr...11.24%20AM.png

Does that tell you anything?

Cool. Informative.

Also, you mentioned being Danish…not sure about the policies over there, but Apple allows you to return computers for 14 days. If I were in your position, I'd return it and either continue to use your existing macbook for a few weeks/months until these issues are sorted out or buy a refurbished late 2011 MBP. Unfortunately, if everyone does that, then we might not know when things get sorted out.

Also, the sales guy didn't steer you wrong, AFAIK. The MBP has USB 3.0 too and dropped USB 2.0. The only things you're missing on the Air are Firewire, LAN, and the SD card slot. I couldn't live without FW, but the others are irrelevant.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast