I might be crazy but..... breathing new life into Djing for me - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If you want to be a bedroom DJ and make mix CD's for your friends that's great. If you want to make a lot of money DJing and you aspire to be a superstar DJ you need to have a "performance" down. Just look at the festivals everyone is just standing there looking at the stage.
    SHHHHHH !!! I know, I know, there are some famous DJ's that just mix tracks and get paid, but I think the future is going towards performance on stage. I liked it better when the music was bigger than the DJ.
    I wish I could go see a good DJ just play good music. It's difficult to find a dancefloor these days.
    The last place I heard a great set was at a gay club.

>
    Last edited by loverocket; 06-21-2012 at 07:52 AM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    but I think the future is going towards performance on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by gindu View Post
    I now want to rid my laptop out of my setup and go to 2 CDJ-900's or 2000's. Return to focusing on mixing not on a laptop.

---------

Am I crazy for wanting to do this. Am I limiting myself? Thanks for help guys and gals. I really want to make DJing for enjoyable again.
    Nope, not at all, do it. I would do the same thing and switch to cdj-2000s if they were cheaper.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    SHHHHHH !!! I know, I know, there are some famous DJ's that just mix tracks and get paid, but I think the future is going towards performance on stage. I liked it better when the music was bigger than the DJ.
    The only place where I see that trend is the newly popped up EDM festivals, especially in the US. Maybe it's because many of the people who are new to electronic music after discovering it on their local hit radio station are used to see popstars performing their latest hits on stage and expect something similar form their new "stars".

I wish I could go see a good DJ just play good music. It's difficult to find a dancefloor these days.
    The last place I heard a great set was at a gay club.
    Then why don't you just do so? Just avoid the new big festivals and go to small clubs instead and you should be fine... There's still a very active underground scene where you'll find just that: good DJs playing goog music that is bigger than them...

I find that I only really get sucked into the laptop when I am doing something new.

Once that curve has passed, i add it to my arsenal and jam proper again.

I keep it pure by knowing my base style. How I mix. Then I add to it. I don;t try and change it totally....else I falls apart for me.
    I then start noticing that my overall sound is not what it should be.

Its all about finding your balance with your gear and abilities.

aaaaaand practice!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Just avoid the new big festivals and go to small clubs instead and you should be fine... There's still a very active underground scene where you'll find just that: good DJs playing goog music that is bigger than them...
    Oh yeah……there's at least one venue in Atlanta doing that several nights a week. A lot of it is the funk/soul/afrobeat/sorta-kinda-hip-hop thing…but it's still better. And their actual "dance" DJs are pretty limited to tech house, but it exists at least. Or you could pay 4 times as much to see someone like LMFAO making idiots out of themselves and overpaying for drinks from bartenders hired based only on how many facebook friends they have who don't know "cocktails" more complicated than jagerbombs.

Heh…funny story…the last time I tried to get a Martini at one of Atlanta's "superclubs", she used red vermouth. It's fine…but if I'd wanted a Hoffman House, I would have ordered it.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    I find that I only really get sucked into the laptop when I am doing something new.

Once that curve has passed, i add it to my arsenal and jam proper again.

I keep it pure by knowing my base style. How I mix. Then I add to it. I don;t try and change it totally....else I falls apart for me.
    I then start noticing that my overall sound is not what it should be.

Its all about finding your balance with your gear and abilities.

aaaaaand practice!

yup! you just have to find what works best for you and get the gear that you will have the most fun with. i was the opposite and went from technics, added cdj 100s, moved to strictly cdjs, and finally onto a vci-400 ege with traktor. my current setup has got me more excited than i ever was djing in the past. i'm now buying far less music and taking more time listening to my current library, getting grids/cues setup, and adding notes which has really helped my workflow, programming, and mixing. i'm also djing way more frequently than i ever did with my old tt/cdj setup.

i've found my proper balance and hope that everyone else ends up in the same boat. just have some fun out there!
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Similar story myself dude.

I learnt to mix on turntables, spent 7-8 years using nothing other then records and CDs. Got a controller, have been using that for the last 12-18 months now I'm looking at getting away from it, I liked the idea, but FX/Loop heavy mixing isn't my thing to mix or listen to.

I'd get a kick ass mixer and stick with the 1200s.

1200s > CDJ2000s (in price and fun), just tuck the computer away and only use it when choosing a song, just like flicking through a usb stick/record box.

i did feel like this, but instead of getting rid of the laptop and carrying so many cd's around i just turn the laptop away and only use it to chose and load a song now, its nothing more than a compact record box, one of the reasons i moved to serato over tsp, less temptation to piss about with things, my residencies are in open format clubs where genre isnt as near important as song selection.

There is something beautiful about a minimalistic approach.

That being said, I wanted to use turntables and using a computer with DVS was the best way of going about playing and gathering music. I really enjoy it honestly.

I have this debate with a buddy of mine every so often because we respectfully have different styles of mixing. He's pushing the envelope with mashing and layering, and I like to keep things more simple really, and let the tracks do the talking. It's a really interesting dynamic because we'll chill and go back to back fairly often, and it's really helped me define myself personally as a DJ.

The new stuff, to me, is really neat. But I just can't enjoy the sound of pushing the envelope right that nearly as much as I like a simple smooth mix. And that's what it comes down to in the end, what I like to hear. Because, maybe it's egotistical part about being a selector, but if I like it I expect others to as well.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast