crossing the Canada/US border for audio gear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default crossing the Canada/US border for audio gear

I hope this topic isn't taboo for this forum, but are there any Canadians here that have crossed the border for audio gear?

I'm thinking of having some powered cabs delivered to Buffalo which isn't too far from me but I'm wondering how to get them back without paying duty/tax.

I figure I can say "I'm going to see a friend" and if they ask me to open the trunk "my friend let me borrow them (unboxed of course)...I know they would probably say "where does your friend live?" but would they go as far as saying "give me your friend's number, I'm going to call him"?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    I hope this topic isn't taboo for this forum, but are there any Canadians here that have crossed the border for audio gear?

I'm thinking of having some powered cabs delivered to Buffalo which isn't too far from me but I'm wondering how to get them back without paying duty/tax.

I figure I can say "I'm going to see a friend" and if they ask me to open the trunk "my friend let me borrow them (unboxed of course)...I know they would probably say "where does your friend live?" but would they go as far as saying "give me your friend's number, I'm going to call him"?
    DO NOT try to lie. Ever had your whole vehicle ripped apart and your body patted down? Those people can make your life hell.

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    DO NOT try to lie. Ever had your whole vehicle ripped apart and your body patted down? Those people can make your life hell.
    LOL, all my Canadian friends are telling me about how they do it all the time.

Don't do it . My sister is a border patrol officer. People do that exact thing all the time and get busted for it. The fine you would get would be way more expensive then paying the actual duty on the speakers. way more.
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d

So your telling me over 16 years of flying back to the Canada. Also after purchasing a 4200 kayak and puting it on my roof. and never been asked any questions thats illegal? Last time i checked all you have to say is im going to visit for pleasure. Please the Canadians dont give you a hard time.
    Some American border accents at Airports go on crazzzzy power trips.

One time though this was about 2 or three weeks after the terrorist attacks in Madrid, Spain so i guess they were on high alert.
    The border agent asked where i was going?
    I answered: "Camp"
    Border officer: "what kind of camp"
    Me: "training camp"
    He just paused for a solid 30 seconds and just typed in info in his computer before i said i was going for atheletic training.
    So scarry.

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    LOL, all my Canadian friends are telling me about how they do it all the time.
    Yeah like chill. Never had one problem. Ever.

DJs are audio gear. You are welcome to smuggle me on your roof so I live out the rest of my days playing beer league hockey with jolly over-the-hill types who actually drink beer at the rink.

I can also throw the occasional disco and boogie party with determinable results... I have Neil Young edits hungry for nostalgic ears.

Not at the rink though, I don't have enough Nickelback on vinyl for that.

Don't lie to boarder patrol. You get caught, and you will have smuggler on your record. That means every time you cross the boarder, your car gets searched. A friend of mine got nailed for that because he didn't claim a few shirts and jeans he bought in the states.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Coincidentally, today's DJTT cover boy, Mr. Richie Hawtin, was banned from the United States for a time back in the 90s when he was caught crossing the border from his home in Windsor Ontario, into Michigan to play a show. They used the fact he had all his DJ gear (presumably also contracts, etc) and no work permit as the reasoning. He couldn't play in the US from 94 to 96 as a result.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast