Movie Scores or Sountracks - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well, there has some quality stuff been mentioned already, so I'll avoid those and choose a somewhat different route. All the early John Carpenter flicks are brilliant with excellent scores (Escape from NY, Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween). And then there are plenty of Italian horror/suspense movies from the 70ies and 80ies with awesome scores (noteworthy in that regard is for example the Italian prog-rock band Goblin, who supplied the soundtracks to films like Suspiria, Profondo Rosso, Dawn of the Dead and many more). Then there's the whole Blaxploitation genre, which is pretty much based on awesome music. Oh, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ennio Morricone yet, what's up with that? :eek:

(Oh, and if we were to deviate from movies as a format, one could talk about a bunch of HBO tv shows that - apart from being awesome in all other regards - exhibit some very nice music as well, e.g. Entourage, Boardwalk Empire, How To Make It In America, ...)
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Yes. GOBLIN. Oh mans. I love Goblin. Moroder, of course. Where would we all be without Giorgio Moroder. Also, there is very little dark disco boogie better than Barry De Vorzon's Theme from The Warriors.

Also, I really, really want to like Ennio Morricone for how prolific he is, but there are only one or two pieces of his that can keep my attention... and they are not from movie scores... so I sadly had to omit him from my contribution to this thread.

How the hell did I forget Moroder? Damn. The Warriors I was gonna mention, but then didn't for some reason. For brilliant theme songs, I think Colors should be mentioned as well. And of course Apocalypse Now (I bet I'm not the only one who always thinks of this movie when listening to The End).

Btw, nice to find another trash film afficionado on here <3
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Btw, nice to find another trash film afficionado on here <3
    I'm glad too. It's nice to find people who are interested in only the very best or the very worst... those who ignore everything in the middle.

I never saw the film but the soundtrack to Weekender is off the chain if you like old skool house

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/wee...on/id457874578

I like the simple piano score in Chinatown, not that i'd listen to it on its own, just think it's incredibly evocative. Also the original score was some wack rubbish Polanski wanted and the producer Robert Evans stripped it out last minute and Jerry Goldsmith only had 10 days to make it...

Obviously Star Wars and Indiana Jones
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

OMG so many good one to choose from.... gotta love the soundtrack from Donnie Darko all that good dark 80's stuff with sum ugly pop thrown in to boot, Platoon is another fire cracker of a sound track, and can never hate on Top Gun ( its all about the theme y'all) but then there are soundtracks you gotta hate with a fury like Ghost, Dirty Dancing, Footloose, and Grease, basically anything girls consider to be awesome like completely gotta sing this crap at the top of my lungs type shit

I'd have to say Wendy Carlos' excellent soundtrack for the original Tron.

Honourable mention goes to Gallipoli. Any film that uses Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene is all right with me.

Saturday Night Fever
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMcFly View Post
    Oh man, here we go. Ok.

Paul Hertzog's work on scoring Bloodsport... even for all of the pretentious stuff I try to get into, music almost does not get any better than this for me. Stan Bush's "Fight To Survive" is just the cheesiest, most passionate pump-up self-help songs, with those stupid tribal chants that just make you want to flying tiger kick a garbage can. I love Stan Bush songs in 80's action films. The film opens with a piece called "Kumite", which is basically an ARP masturbation piece. So. Fucking. good.

Then there's James Horner scoring the Arnold classic, Commando. There's a lot of very topical steel drum action in it, which we're hearing creep into to newer music today. Here's a protip: It's not referencing island music, it's referencing 80's action. "We Fight For Love" by The Power Station is one of those post-metal boogie tracks that will never be respected by anyone ever. Which is fine, because it's terrible. But I love it so much.

Let's see. Paul Herzog also scored Kickboxer starring Jean-Claude Van Damme. Stan Bush belts out another classic on that one called "Never Surrender". OH MY FUCKING GOD you're fucking up big if you've never shouted the chorus to that track at the top of your lungs with your fists in the air.

Oh, yeah, I'm forgetting Stallone. Rocky. Rocky IV specifically. Vince DiCola scored the only Rocky soundtrack worth a shit. Of course, Bill Conti's "Gonna Fly Now" might be contrived and played out, but if you listen to the original with those ride cymbal bell hits on the up-beat will fill your heart with burning desire to take punches and win. The "training montage" piece is a fucking Odyssey.

I could go on, but basically Stan Bush songs in 80's action movies are massive favorites among movie scores. He is unbeatable on the Transformers Movie soundtrack.

This has been a terrible post, but it's the first time in months something on this board has asked me to reveal my true passions.
    I just gotta say this is one of the best post's I've seen on this site in awhile... hilarious... and I completely agree.

Really? No one has mentioned probably the most notable movie composer of time? John Williams.
    Some of the films he made original scores for include
    •ET
    •Jurassic Park
    •Star Wars (all films)
    •Indiana Jones
    •Jaws
    •Superman

Those are a little dated, but I see them as probably the most recognizable movie scores of all time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast