How did you get to where you are today? What's your story?
    Tech Mentor

Default How did you get to where you are today? What's your story?

Every DJ has a unique story on what inspired them to start djing and how they got to the positions of where they are now.

What's your story?

I just recently started DJing (going on 7 months now). I always loved being the person that controlled the music at parties and people loved my song selections. But what really got me started into djing was making mixes on a program called Mixmeister. It was fun finally being able to blend together songs, but I wanted more. So on New Years, I bought a Mixtrack Pro and since then I've been djing. I bought my own PA system and have thrown a party using them. I've duo'd two sorority formals with a good friend of mine. Right now I'm working on getting a business card, getting an S4 and Midifighter, and trying to find some gigs. Only downside is that I live in lower Delaware where there is absolutely no nightlife after summer so I'm going to try and get some gigs at the college I just graduated from. (Hour and a half away).

That's a short blurb about me, what about you guys?

I started DJing when I quit promoting and eventually partying all together. I developed some really bad "habits" as a result of throwing and attending parties, so I dropped out of the scene for my own good.

I still loved the music however, so I decided to start spinning to keep myself connected to it. I went digital purely for financial reasons, but I haven't regretted it. I first learned to mix years and years ago using vinyl, and there is still a very strong pro-vinyl bias among some people in detroit, but I've always felt the medium was less important than music.

At this point, I just play for the pure enjoyment of doing so. It helps keep me sane, to be honest. I'll post my stuff online and all, but playing out just isn't a big priority of mine.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

I started listening to music with my yiayia (grandma in greek) showing me how to put on records at a young age. Listening to rock and roll on vinyl. Didnt really move onto actual mixing till my 2nd year of college durring a summer school class. I took a philosophy class and use to smoke trees with this guy. He said he made dubstep had a studio but never released his stuff. Gave me a traktor 3 key. Then I started mixing deep house. Then started listening to dubstep. Had problems at home with the family and wanted to get agression out in my music. SO I re channeled my energy to my mixes.

Soon that wasnt enough so i started producing loops and basslines, drum breaks. And began remixing songs. Just progressed to to making songs and now Im at where I am today. I dont get many gigs but I make damn sure I never play the same set. I give the crowd their full moneys worth... a badass set.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Tech Wizard

Dude, its not that bad. i have been dj'ing a little shorter than you in whistler, (B.C.) where the nightlife is supposed to be gnarly. But i am 14, so.... the only times that i have played out was and volounteer gig for my primary school and a school project.

Quote Originally Posted by zeddee View Post
    Dude, its not that bad. i have been dj'ing a little shorter than you in whistler, (B.C.) where the nightlife is supposed to be gnarly. But i am 14, so.... the only times that i have played out was and volounteer gig for my primary school and a school project.
    Dude if ur post was in refrence to mine, Im 24 (well turn it in 8 days). Speaking of spinning for school. I explained how to produce dubstep and perform it in my spanish class. IN SPANISH.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
    I explained how to produce dubstep and perform it in my spanish class. IN SPANISH.
    +1
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

I used to be not that caring for music when starting high school but then I suddenly got into heavy metal. I never really got exposed to the EDM scene, due to the fact that I live in boring ass Utah. As such, my first real intro to EDM was (hold the laughs) Mass Effect 2, in a club scene. Heard the bass - loved it; heard the synth - loved it; heard the leads - loved it. So I started searching for more and more and more. From that point on, I dedicated almost all my musical time to EDM, mostly trance. This was 2010.

After juggling with the idea of DJing for 2 years and never completing it (money was an issue), I finally made the jump and bought some decks and a mixer in 2012 during college. I wanted to become more connected with the music and spread it to others around me and see how happy they were with it.

I practiced for a while, got a residency on an online DJ streaming site. Had a falling out with the owner after some drastic policy changes but luckily already had another site I was planning on joining anyway. Still a resident there and am planning on sending out some demos soon to get into a club during the summer.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM