Traktor Scratch Pro + VCI 100 and other noob issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor Scratch Pro + VCI 100 and other noob issues

Hey so sorry if this is such a noob question and something related has already been posted but here goes.
    My friend gave me his copy of Traktor Scratch Pro which isn't using anymore. I took it because deckadance wasn't working with the TurtleBeach USB external soundcard I bought to use for monitoring with headphones. It does however work fine with Virtual DJ but I wanted something a bit more sophisticated. I'm a starter DJ and don't really have equipment yet. I have recently been thinking of getting a Vestax VCI-100 as I have seen how good it is with traktor. I also figured out I need and audio 8 dj (or was it audio 4 dj) to work with Traktor Scratch Pro, which is why I can't use my headphones and this totally sucks.
    So Now I was just wondering if I should stick to Virtual DJ which is easy to use but it isn't anything super great. Will the VCI-100 work with this (keep in mind it is version 4.3 Mac but i can get a version 5 soon)? Or is there a way i can make the Traktor Scratch Pro work for me. The thing is i really do not want to spend a lot so getting the Audio Dj soundcard is reeeeallly expensive. Also, would it probably better if I just buy the VCI-100 that comes with Traktor LE and upgrade for very little to Traktor pro, but will this work without the audio dj. I also heard that the traktor certified mixers can replace this and normally this would be better as I would eventually need a mixer, but I noticed all those mixers that are traktor scratch certified are stupidly overpriced. Please help! I want the cheapest way out.
    Thanks a bunch in advance!

(Running: MacBook Pro Late 2007
    4gb Ram, 320gb HD 5200RPM 2.2 ghz, Mac OS X Leopard)
    Last edited by kevzzz; 05-31-2009 at 02:59 AM.

Tech Mentor

I know in VDJ (what I started with) that you can use dual sound cards. Not sure if you can do that in TPro. Theirs nothing wrong with VDJ for a beginner such as yourself. You can control alot of it with the keyboard and mouse just fine. I would focus on nailing all the beginning techniques down to a science and when your bored of being a master of VDJ move on to TPro. I only give this advice since I personally have a terrible habit of biting off more than I can chew sometimes. Its very tempting to be like holy shit 4 decks gimme gimme and then get frustrated for example. Take your time, do your research, hang out with us on the forums, and most importantly enjoy the journey!
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Tech Mentor

Oh and welcome to the forums!!!

hi.

i think you are getting some things wrong:

-traktor scratch duo/pro needs an audio 4/8 soundcard to work with timecode vinyl.

-traktor duo/pro works with any asio soundcard, wich should have at least 2 outputs; one for monitoring and one for master output.

so; yes! you can buy the vci-100 and then upgrade to tpro - no need to buy an audio 8 for that.

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/inde...aktorsetup2_us

have a nice day.

compact
    Last edited by compact; 05-31-2009 at 04:00 AM.

Tech Wizard

thanks for the advice! I have actually been using VDJ for like 2 to 3 years now. So anyway yeah i really wanna buy some beginner equipment though especially since my parents are very supportive. I really wanna use the VCI-100 or something related. I really like the way traktor works and I actually have made a good mix with it. I was just trying to find out what the cheapest way to get my headphones and a VCI-100 to work out. Other tips and suggestions to work around my problem are welcome!
    thanks again

Tech Wizard

oh thanks compact that really helps! I think I will do that then

Tech Mentor

Well the Audio 4 cant be used with TPro Scratch, you need an 8 for that. Just to clarify. The Audio 4 is a fantastic sound card, highly reccomended if youre going the VCI route. No need to get Scratch or Scratch Duo if youre not going to be using timecode, save you money. Didnt realize you had so much experience, thought you were new, my bad =(

Tech Wizard

hahaha no dude i've just been messing around with all these different programs I hardly have experience I'm only starting to get into it and hopefully land a real gig soon, so no worries. Instead of the audio 4 (because it's way to expensive and i don't have a lot of money considering I'm in the 10th grade) what are other cheaper alternatives I've heard Maya 44 is good because it's not as expensive as the usual. Is the Beringher U-control good as well? My current plan is to just buy the VCI-100 upgrade to traktor pro which brings me up to about $620 roughly. Another expensive soundcard would just kill me.
    Also, when I get a VCI-100 either from djtechtools or the regular one, does Traktor LE upgrade in one payment of $119 directly to traktor pro?
    thanks again
    Last edited by kevzzz; 05-31-2009 at 07:00 AM.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Animus View Post
    Well the Audio 4 cant be used with TPro Scratch, you need an 8 for that. Just to clarify.
    Actually to clarify the Audio 4 can be used with TSP but only with 2 timecode decks (not 4).

Just pointing that out..!

If you dont want to use timecode you can use any multi channel soundcard with a headphone out with Traktor Pro and the VCI. If you dont need timecode id go for a FireWire card like the Presonus Firebox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast