Buying my second controller, Mixdeck Express, Mixdeck (regular) or Twitch
    Tech Mentor

Default Buying my second controller, Mixdeck Express, Mixdeck (regular) or Twitch

Hey guys this is my first post YAY! I've been viewing the tips on this site for a few weeks now and I've come to the conclusion that this place is awesome and i should always seek advice from people on this forum!

So last weekend I was invited to DJ a car show in my state, and so i did. Afterwards I reviewed my performance and what people generally thought of it, and it seems that along with being a bit to basic, my music seem very low volume wise. So after doing a bit or research about why these thing were the way they were, I and the other DJs I've asked agree that because I'm still using a Mixtrack Pro, I'm am very limited to what I can do during a performance. So we decided that its in my best interest to upgrade since I don't have VDJ pro and can't midi map anything extra in Serato DJ intro.

So at the moment it looks like my best options for controllers seems to be the Mixdeck series by Numark or a Novation Twitch. I've done my research on all of those option and have come to a stalemate. I can get a Mixdeck for 600 vs 500 usd for the mixdeck express. The mixdeck express doesn't have hotcues mapped to it or the built in effects, while the regular mixdeck does, is that worth the extra 100? Now they are both good controllers, but I'd still be stuck in Serato DJ intro where i can't midi map anything. On the other hand I could get a Novation Twitch for 400usd and have Serato ITCH to work with, but at the same time that requires me to have a laptop to use outside of my house, as the mixdeck can be used without a laptop. Yeah as you can see I'm pretty stumped on what to buy.

By the way I'm 16 years old and have no type job other than DJing, money is a come and go thing for me at the moment and value per feature is weighing in pretty heavy as well and its really important that i pick the right controller because ill be stuck with it for at least the next year.

This is a pretty important decision for me, and I really hope that you guys can guide me to the right decision, thanks.

First, if you do decide to get the Mixtrack series, get the regular one; the very concept of FX units and hotcues are well worth the $100. These will definitely keep you on your edge and keep you interested and innovative in your mixes. Without these, you are still being in a basic format of DJing.

Second, my advice is get the Novation Twitch; the fact you can MIDI map is a very powerful tool that allows you to customize your controller to your liking and ensures that you are comfortable and in control of everything within your mix. In addition, you get a plethora of good features that will keep you entertained and enjoy mixing for well over a year.

As the for the laptop conundrum with this deck, I suggest that you try to go out and find a decent laptop that you'll use specifically for DJing for around 200 dollars. You can find a reliable lappy for that price that at least fits the requirements of ITCH (http://serato.com/itch/features). It might not be pretty, and it might possibly be used, but as long as it works, your DJing possibilities will increase exponentially, along with your skills and happiness. Checkout locals, sites like Newegg.com, and super sales. In my opinion, if you have to drop an extra 50 usd for it, I would think it as an investment that will last for a while.

Cheers and good luck mate!
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

Tech Mentor

Honestly, with money being tight? Just stick with the Mixtrack Pro. With that and Serato Intro you can do a hell of a lot of the stuff that matters. Just get a laptop, you'll need it.

Tech Mentor

just letting you know i took your suggestion into consideration and have bought a twitch and i love it

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0beet View Post
    just letting you know i took your suggestion into consideration and have bought a twitch and i love it
    Glad to hear it! Happy to be of help and have fun out there!
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM