AWESOME article on the current state of dance music/DJing in light of recent events
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default AWESOME article on the current state of dance music/DJing in light of recent events

There have been a lot of articles recently on this subject but this one really gets the big picture and point across and is very well written.

Press Play? Hit Start

http://hotwaterinc.tumblr.com/post/25938207447/hitstart

Awesome.

x2

Amazing. Makes me want to travel back to the days of old trance; makes me want to get out there and show the people at nightclubs what they missed/don't know.

I think the greatest and most educational part of this article is playing what people don't know. Its a bloody huge risk but its the risk people like see taken and, should you perform it right, it'll pay off dividends for you and the crowd.

Thanks for the fantastic find, Xonetacular!
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

Tech Mentor

haven't read it yet, but I will say that I have stopped caring about wtf some famous producer, big magazine, or random blog writer has to say about DJing or the EDM "Scene".

Invoke- that's a shame since this is the first article that really gets it

Quote Originally Posted by Toastmaster View Post
    Amazing. Makes me want to travel back to the days of old trance; makes me want to get out there and show the people at nightclubs what they missed/don't know.

I think the greatest and most educational part of this article is playing what people don't know. Its a bloody huge risk but its the risk people like see taken and, should you perform it right, it'll pay off dividends for you and the crowd.

Thanks for the fantastic find, Xonetacular!

I did not grow up in the club scene and I'm kind of traveling backwards in my journey discovering music- I started on the more accessible electronic stuff around 2006-2007 in college and never was a part of the scene the article talks about. Now I have broadened my horizons and am finding ways to experience this kind of vibe and I would have love to have been to some of these NY clubs that are now gone and experience some of these sets.

I like the part about no cameras and cell phones on the dance floor being enforced- I feel like places should do that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I did not grow up in the club scene and I'm kind of traveling backwards in my journey discovering music- I started on the more accessible electronic stuff around 2006-2007 in college and never was a part of the scene the article talks about. Now I have broadened my horizons and am finding ways to experience this kind of vibe and I would have love to have been to some of these NY clubs that are now gone and experience some of these sets.

I like the part about no cameras and cell phones on the dance floor being enforced- I feel like places should do that now.
    Neither did I. I live in Utah so there's a very small EDM community to begin with; to make it worse, trance music is a much less popular genre in the US so its pretty surprising that I ever got into the scene. Used to pull from the big name artists for a while (Tiesto, ATB, etc.) until I listened to some more progressive trance from artists like DNS Project and KhoMha. In addition, I got exposed to some trance anthems and I just lost it - now I'm on a continuous search for great tracks pre-2002, and I hope someday I can get to hear some of these great tunes being played by other DJs than myself.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Invoke View Post
    haven't read it yet, but I will say that I have stopped caring about wtf some famous producer, big magazine, or random blog writer has to say about DJing or the EDM "Scene".
    Well it probably would've been a good idea not to read a thread about exactly that then.

That is a fantastic article, reminds me of what I loved so much about this in the beginning. My Tenaglia was always Digweed. From the first time I saw him 11 years ago as an 18 year old.... This shit still exists though you just need to look harder, a newer and more commercial element has just been added to dance music which clogs up a lot of the scene ie. festivals, still plenty of clubs and plenty of DJs around that can give that same feeling though. Heck 4 and a bit hours of Chris Liebing a few weeks back reminded me of exactly that.

Nice find, really good article.

I like how he talked about dilution in the EDM scene. More people meant more music being made. That will inevitably lead to some good, but a lot of bad as well. This goes for almost anything in life, and needs to be taken for what it is, and with a grain of salt. Look at skateboarding. When it started to get big again in the 90s, small skateshops were replaced by corporations (west 49) and skateboarding became about the money. Pandering to the masses, who may not be skaters, but sure wanted to be. Same goes for music. Crate digging and finding a gem nobody has heard was replaced by banger after banger every weekend.

The trick is to find those local DJ nights where everyone there is looking for something new, something to make us move, something to make us remember why we like this kind of music.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Convert

Agreed. Especially the part about cameras and such.
    "Channeling the force of sound through tools of music manipulation and rhythm alignment."

2 Techs SL1200 MK2 + Behringer DDM4000 + Traktor Pro 2 + Audio 6 + 2 M-Audio Bx8a

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post

The trick is to find those local DJ nights where everyone there is looking for something new, something to make us move, something to make us remember why we like this kind of music.
    This.

I don't know about the rest of the world but in Australia there is plenty of clubs and nights like this around, places where you can hear extended sets, fresh music, basically everything the writer laments about disappearing from the scene. Heck there are even loads of touring international DJs that still deliver quality time and time again, guys that haven't fallen into the trap of playing the same shit every night.

You go to a big festival or commercial club. Expect to hear music to match the setting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast