Progressing as a DJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Progressing as a DJ

Hey guys, quick question.

I've been a bedroom DJ for about a year now. I've gotten to a point where I'm building a respectable music collection, I've been DJing at house parties, and I'm getting into recording my mixes.

As soon as University starts, I'm going to try to get some sets at Venues.

I'm confused as to how to progress as a DJ. Not promotion-wise but rather in skill.

I'm comfortable with beatmatching, mixing tracks together, using and layer effects and EQs (although not as much as I perhaps should be).

What's the next logical step to do?

Thanks in Advance.

Get yourself a DAW like Ableton or Logic and start producing....I think that would be a good next step
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

Tech Mentor

Start watching other people dj. A good tip is to watch people like steve aoki, laidback luke on the djsounds shows on youtube where it gives you an overhead view on what they are doing. Watch that and practice the techniques they perform.

Tech Mentor

Whenever you think you're "good enough", try getting a little better. The next step as a DJ, if you want to talk about it logically, is to start playing at a club, bar, etc. Doing this for years isnt uncommon in the industry, just pay your dues, and if youre good enough, someone will notice.

Producing is definitely a plus, playing out your own tracks is a great feeling.

what kind of music are you playing?

Commercial music and House. I'd prefer to play more Dutch House than Commercial but it seems the easiest way to get a steady gig at a club in University is through Commercial sets.

i think one of the biggest things about being a good and competent DJ is to have no problem playing music that people have never heard before...i am sure you have digged (is that even a word?) deep for some cuts from small indie labels that not alot of people have heard before but are still bomb tracks in their own right...right?

i mean...any one can download (torrent for you pirates) the current hits of any genre and mix them together...correct?...

So now you need to work on your taste. Even if you do spin commerical top 40 house you can still break new music. Check the hype charts. Listen to Kiss FM in the city of angels. You can even be sneaky and play some not so commercial house with the commercial house if you are doing it right.
    Last edited by keithace; 06-27-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: fruedian slip...errr. spelling...

Quote Originally Posted by karma View Post
    Start watching other people dj. A good tip is to watch people like steve aoki, laidback luke on the djsounds shows on youtube where it gives you an overhead view on what they are doing. Watch that and practice the techniques they perform.
    where can I see Steve Aoki's skills? Because I have yet to hear or see them. I GOOGLED "DJsounds steve aoki" and found him jumping around on stage, kissing Pioneer ass, and kissing SXSW ass. Maybe that IS how you become a successful superstar DJ ???

>

i would have used the Carl Cox, DJ Sneak or Roger Sanchez videos as examples...but that's me...

Tech Wizard

where can I see Steve Aoki's skills? Because I have yet to hear or see them. I GOOGLED "DJsounds steve aoki" and found him jumping around on stage, kissing Pioneer ass, and kissing SXSW ass. Maybe that IS how you become a successful superstar DJ ???
    It takes years of practice to be able to throw a piece of baking this far and this direct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast