NEW dj, setup q - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW dj, setup q

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hoesterey View Post
    Wow guys i really appreciate this. I am 14, and i really will mix any "current" styles. i.e. Dubstep, house, techno, rap, dance, even MINIMAL pop. I am confused on why people buy cdjs instead of just drag from a crate your iTunes? The other thing i know is that DJ will be something that at a 80% chance will be something i pursue and really evolve into. I really also like the idea of adding a F1 or set of F1's later into my collection. I also have a macbook pro which i know will integrate well with tractor. I agree with demo'ing them all at a shop neer me. At DJLACHLANCARR i don't think that i am necessarily good enough yet to just use a mixer and a x1 or just a stand alone mixer. Nor do i want to spend 4K on a good mixer and cdjs. BTW the 2k limit included a set of monitoring speakers, a case, headphones, and maybe other wants(midi fighter pro).

I hope i covered all of your questions
    As far as why people use CDJs - they have very very very little chance of something going wrong, unlike a computer. Also with top of the line CDJs the features are quite impressive. And most importantly for me is that there is no chance of shit going wrong when you change from one DJ to another. If you both use CDJs it is super simple and even if the other guy uses a DVS its still much easier not dealing with 2 sound cards .

In all reality, unless you are doing weddings or something like that then do you really need all of your songs with you at a gig? I myself use Serato most of the time because I rather enjoy using Technics when I spin open format at Top 40 clubs, but I only use a fraction of my iTunes library. Especially now with USB sticks that shouldn't be an issue.

But yeah CDJs are really expensive and not necessary if you are just starting out.

On a side note I wish I had 2,000 to spend as a 14 year old. Good luck with whatever you get!

Tech Wizard

Well alex, I don't have 2000$ but i could probably obtain it. That actually is my problem now, I have some money, but don't know what i should do with it. The questions i am asking myself are, Is djing what i want to spend all this money on and keep doing until i get a really legitimate job and future carreer? is it something i will do for a long term time because it is my true passion and occupies my life? Or will i get a S4 and other stuff and then realize the passion is not really backing me and i have blown a huge cut of money?
    I like the S4 but would probably add 2 midi fighters. Then i would have to buy some monitor speakers and a headphone adapter....JUST to dj in my basement. This is because i think that the s4 and midi fighters suit well what i want to do, for the time being at least.
    what would you do in my situation?

If you are not sure, get a cheaper controller and see if you like DJ:ing or not. No need to waste money on an S4 and similar expensive controller, get something used and Traktor 2.x. Or two cheap CDJs.

I say, if you have the money, buy quality gear, even if its a little pricey. You've been playing with VDJ for a year, its not like you are gonna buy an S4 and then go "this djing thing is too hard". You know what its about, you've put some time into the software first (a lot of people don't do this) and you are ready to take the next step. Make it a leap, you will be happy you did.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by rdale View Post
    http://www.proaudiostar.com/ always has a bundle on NI gear.
    yes to this! i just found maschine with a free pair of rokit 5s and got guitar center to match the deal!

to the op: good timing on the s4 it seems if you decide you want it. this week djtt is having a sale on the s4 with chroma caps, the mono bag, and some other swag for $799. that's $200 off the normal price! pm me if you don't have the discount code.

http://store.djtechtools.com/traktor...-mono-bag.html
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Wizard

thx drip' that was a good train of thought for me. squidot that is a good deal, but i don't think i can decide now. I need to put a few more dollars in the wallet and think and research a bit more. I could think about it thought, if you wouldn't mind i would like the code....I will send you a PM.

quality gear has better resale value, my cheap gear is only good for granting hand me downs to someone wanting to get started.

S2 or S4 is a good all round bet for a beginner, if you've got the cash get the S4

BTW, WTF is minimal pop;

.... i really will mix any "current" styles. i.e. Dubstep, house, techno, rap, dance, even MINIMAL pop. ...
    SC | MC

Tech Wizard

i just meant that i might mix a bit of pop music too because sometimes at parties it is in high demand

That actually is my problem now, I have some money, but don't know what i should do with it. The questions i am asking myself are, Is djing what i want to spend all this money on...
    Believe me when I say this isn't the right mindset for you to be in at all.

You have money, don't waste it on something you say you'd 80% go for. You need to be sure with DJing. It takes a lot of time, effort and money. If a couple of months into buying 2k worth of equipment you find out that you've gone off DJing you've thrown time and money down the drain.

If you want a controller start off with something cheap like the Mixtrack Pro. If you want CDJs, get basic ones. If after a few months you're still DJing then RGAS will kick in and you'll spend all your money on gear anyway but don't spend it all at the start.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast