NEW dj, setup q
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW dj, setup q

Tech Wizard

Default NEW dj, setup q

Hello everyone, i am new to the Dj world...
    I have been screwing with vdj but am ready for a next step. A real dj setup, money is not a huge concern right now but i don't want to break 2k. Do i go with the Kontrol S4 or S2? What else do I need to buy? Keep in mind I was using VDJ for about a yr. so i have a broad knowledge of all of the functions of the NI S4 and S2.

THX, Jack

ask yourself what you want to do with the music...

i am very happy with my x1 and xone 22...

but you may not be...

If you have a broad knowledge of all of the functions of the NI S4 and S2, those are the two controllers you are considering, and you have an idea as to what you want to do, no one else has the answers but you. It only boils down to what you want to do, and how many channels you feel you need to do it with.

Tech Wizard

Well right now i am young so i want to learn so when i get older i can do gigs and stuff. I really like Mixing music and beatmatching by ear and other functions like that...which is why i picked the S4 or S2. I am new to this so i appreciate what you all said but i don't know if the xone is for me, YET. I also like the MIDI fighter pros so i think hope that gives you all an idea of what i want to be doing as a dj. Thanks so much for the feed back Kiethace and sobi and i hope others will reply too

there are so many ways to dj now it's insanity. when i first started there were no options really, it was just a matter of could you afford the industry standard technics or did you have to get a crappy belt driven pair of turntables.

from what you said above it sounds like you want a combination of traditional mixing (beatmatching) and controllerism via the midi figher. if that's the case, traktor and an all in one controller like the s2/s4 could be a good choice for you. you can always add a mf, f1, maschine (if you want to bridge producing) or any other controller for the button smashing. take a look at the vci-400 ege as well through djtt. i decided on that over the s4 for my personal tastes. you can also look into some other all in ones, as well as going the route of cdjs and/or turntables if you want a more traditional setup while still using traktor for that extra level of creativity.

with the s2/s4 just know a couple of the drawbacks: the first would be that if you want to custom map it at this point it may not be the best choice for you. if you want to change one button, i believe you lose the tight HID jogs and tempo faders since you will have to operate the unit in midi mode. this is the main reason why most people get that unit so be sure you like the mapping it comes with. the second is about the build quality. although it is pretty good, it isn's quite as good many of the other all in one controllers on the market that feel a bit more solid. if you have a windows machine make sure you do some research since many people reported problems with this unit. if you can load the drivers and bring your laptop into a store to try it out that may not be a bad idea. i was going to do that until i just knew i wanted the vestax.

the main pros are a tight integration with HID elements in traktor if you like the mapping and the ability to add scratch with turntables in the future without having to buy a native instruments audio interface. plus it comes with traktor pro 2.5 so you don't have to buy it if you don't already have it.

the reason i went with an all in one as opposed to modular or breaking my turntables/cdjs back out was the various setups in placed i'm looking to gig. one has some old cdjs and a 4 channel pioneer mixer. the other has technics, different cdjs and a rane 2 channel mixer. i wanted a unit that i could practice on at home and bring that same experience to the gig without having to worry about their different setups. all i have to do is plug into and open channel on the mixer (removing one of cdjs if needed) and i'm good to go. no need to worry much about the quality or differences of their gear.

good luck and good hunting! let us know what you decide on.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

What kind of music do you like to play? Music style can definitely have an effect on your purchase.

For example, dubstep would definitely call for a controllerist touch, with all the FX layering and cue juggling you'll do; house or techno might call for more of a traditional setup to makes those smooth mixes and transitions all the more sweeter
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

I really don't think you can wrong with an S4. The reason I am currently leaning to it is being able to expand to scratch with out additional hardware, plenty of control and four channel mixing now. I'm using a two channel controller mapped to four channels and could really use a four channel controller. The S4 has headroom the S2 is what it is and you will have to work around when you do want to start taking advantage of working acapellas and sample beats in a set. The real beauty is that it can expand to allow you to learn traditional dj skills with cost. I was on the fence between a VCI-400 and S4 and sadly build quality lost to near instant gratification on expanding to adding turntables later.

One of the key things with your budget to really consider is quality monitors. My monitor is about even in cost to my two controllers, but well worth the extra money, doubly so since I found it for free. It really is the big difference in a bedroom set up to have something that is enough clear sound.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/ always has a bundle on NI gear.

How old are you?

Starting off DJing and setting yourself a limit of 2k is quite a lot. Get something cheap to start off with if money isn't a huge concern. Worst thing you could do is spent 2k and realise that DJing isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilac View Post
    How old are you?

Starting off DJing and setting yourself a limit of 2k is quite a lot. Get something cheap to start off with if money isn't a huge concern. Worst thing you could do is spent 2k and realise that DJing isn't for you.
    i agree with you lilac.

jack the best way to do it is to start cheap with a x1 and a cheap mixer and see if djing is for you this is the way i started two years ago and now i have my dream setup. Also jack if you have the money and you feel ready for a serious setup then go for it. But please dont waste 2k on gear and then decide to give up djing six months later.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Wizard

Wow guys i really appreciate this. I am 14, and i really will mix any "current" styles. i.e. Dubstep, house, techno, rap, dance, even MINIMAL pop. I am confused on why people buy cdjs instead of just drag from a crate your iTunes? The other thing i know is that DJ will be something that at a 80% chance will be something i pursue and really evolve into. I really also like the idea of adding a F1 or set of F1's later into my collection. I also have a macbook pro which i know will integrate well with tractor. I agree with demo'ing them all at a shop neer me. At DJLACHLANCARR i don't think that i am necessarily good enough yet to just use a mixer and a x1 or just a stand alone mixer. Nor do i want to spend 4K on a good mixer and cdjs. BTW the 2k limit included a set of monitoring speakers, a case, headphones, and maybe other wants(midi fighter pro).

I hope i covered all of your questions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast