My face when the experienced DJ's levels are in the RED - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    the chance of broken speakers is slim. a controller/speaker management system in the rack is designed to prevent this. it will just sound crappy (i mean, with DSP, you can try to "repair" the clipped signal--but that's a guessing game as the information contained in the clipped peaks is irrecoverably lost).

+1. channel meters showing over is not a problem. it's just a problem when the master is clipping.

that, too.

right. i mean, as i wrote above, you can let DSP do some "magic." but DSP will have to work with assumptions as to how the signal looked before it was hard-clipped. it can try to make the signal sound more pleasant, but it cannot recover information that was lost.
    You don't seem to have a single idea about what sound engineers and DSP do...

I once had the tour manager for a grammy winning hip hop artist asking me why the everything was so distorted, I PFL'ed the DJ mixer on my console and handed him a set of cans. He walked up to the stage, the output from the mixer came down, I made up for it at my console and we almost knocked the venue down with bass.

Don't clip your mixers kiddies.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    So it's you b2b the resident b2b some other guy ??

OVERKILL

It's strange that after 2 decades of experience they don't know why the flashy green/red thingymajig is there.
    Sad to see that .WAV goodness do to waste.
    I was just waiting for him to leave. 10 minutes late, of course. I was there all night long, arranged the sound system and bam.

@JesC
    You can go through clipping anytime.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

"giant" stonehenge for the win
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Hahahahahaha!

Can't even find a picture that would do justice!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I see it all the time ... and often from guys so proud of their old school skills, running in the red all night long. Very clever ...

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    DB4 goes to 11, but only on the headphones. Master only goes to 10.
    OMG. Can't believe I didn't notice that until just now. Falling in love with this mixer all over again...
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

If it was my rig he was playing through he would have got a gentle reminder to stay out of the red and then if the kindness was ignored the stage power would be switched off. Have done it plenty of times. I've gained a reputation as a bit of a cunt but the word travels quick and I don't have any issues anymore with square waving DJ mixers

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    OMG. Can't believe I didn't notice that until just now. Falling in love with this mixer all over again...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast