Are there anybody who is doing what Araab Muzik is doing but with Launchpads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Are there anybody who is doing what Araab Muzik is doing but with Launchpads?

If you aren't familiar with him here's a vid (Im sure most of you have seen this)

I know Madeon does in a his Pop Culture vid.

The reason I ask is because I am EXTREMELY interested in this form of performance/DJing. Im curious if anyone has any info on how to go about doing or you know of any videos of people doing it/explaining it ect.

thanks

Banned

those aren't the same thing at all.
    What aarab musik does is generally called "finger drumming", it's fairly important that it's done on velocity sensitive pads like an MPC.

What madeon does in that video is more along the lines of live arranging. He's not really playing anything in a percussive manner. Nothing is timing-dependant, as everything is synced in ableton. He's just triggering clips, so no velocity-sensitive pads are necessary.

NI's Maschine is a good cross between the two systems, and works for both performance techniques. I'd look into that. It's actually used by a guy named Jeremy Ellis that is generally considered (or fucking should be) to be better in a lot of ways at finger drumming than Aarab muzik.... Nothing against Aaraab. Love him, seen him live three times.

check this out:

Hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by Saurus; 07-01-2012 at 08:04 PM.

nice try native instruments PR department...

I purchased my launchpad for this exact reason. Your accuracy will have to be pretty tight, but with some practice you should be fine. People complain about the fact that the pads aren't velocity sensitive, but with 64 buttons you have a lot more space to play/drum and be able to mess with effects at the same time. I got the launchpad because of the real estate and its flexibility.

Good luck trying to do what araabMUZIK/Jeremy Ellis does with a launchpad...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ApplianceTyrant View Post
    Good luck trying to do what araabMUZIK/Jeremy Ellis does with a launchpad...
    +1 I'm pretty sure the buttons are about half the size of an MPC Pad.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    +1 I'm pretty sure the buttons are about half the size of an MPC Pad.
    Not to mention the response of them.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Not to mention the response of them.
    Carriage before the horse, doesn't matter how bad that kick responds if your fat fingers keep hitting the damn snare

+1 I don't think it's reasonable to expect to finger drum (do whatever it is that Jeremy Ellis and AraabMuzik do) on a launchpad.

I purchased my launchpad for this exact reason. Your accuracy will have to be pretty tight, but with some practice you should be fine. People complain about the fact that the pads aren't velocity sensitive, but with 64 buttons you have a lot more space to play/drum and be able to mess with effects at the same time. I got the launchpad because of the real estate and its flexibility.
    With Maschine it's really, really, easy to switch between kits... and AraabMuzik usually (always?) has more that one MPC on hand. Both are velocity sensitive, and have the capacity to control lots of effects, for which one should probably insist on knobs or faders as opposed to the Launchpad's buttons. Doesn't the Launchpad have less real estate?

I also don't think that it's really fair to call Saurus a member of NI PR - he seemed to be a much bigger fan of Jeremy Ellis than of Maschine (he plays MPCs too, anyway) and wasn't hyperbolic like NI typically is about either. (e.g. "MASSIVE is a sonic monster – the ultimate synth for basses and leads")

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    e.g. "MASSIVE is a sonic monster – the ultimate synth for basses and leads"
    lol so true

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast