I don't care what anyone says, mobile DJ'ing is MUCH harder than any Club/Bar DJ'ing! - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Great stuff there boss. A real DMC champ and a grammy award for those amazing lo-fi vocals. Can't wait to show all my friends. Let me know when he learns how to pump a dancefloor.

iMaschine is still showing 80 BPM on my dubstep track.
    Last edited by loverocket; 07-05-2012 at 10:23 AM.

It's not a competition for which is the most difficult, do what you want.

Seriously though. I will back down from criticizing so much on here. I love music, just like everyone on here. I thought I could voice my opinion, but it seems some people take it too personally. Gaslamp is talented. He's just not for me. Forgive me if I ruffled some feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    It's not a competition for which is the most difficult, do what you want.
    Nope, it's not. It's a forum for people to voice their differing opinions, debate, agree, and maybe open their minds to other points of view, so if you aren't interested in hearing the opinions, or the discussions bother/bore/annoy you, you be better served to ignore the thread as a whole. That usually works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Let me know when he learns how to pump a dancefloor.
    There are different demographics of people at bars, clubs, weddings, and all of the different types of venue's a DJ is hired to play at. I'm from the Hip-Hop side of the camp where it still did definitely start with dancing, but as it's evolved it's not always all about dancing in the sense that you're putting it (pump a dancefloor). Some people prefer environments where they can just kind of hang about and sip their beverage maybe nodding their head or tapping their foot, still totally enjoying the vibe. I start some evenings with a very mature dinner crowd that's finishing up a nice meal and would probably like to stick around for a few drinks. So far I've been great at retaining that business instead of opening my sets with music that is appropriate. I'm really don't know GLK anymore than the few things that were posted here, but I'd say based on looking at his audience (which was decent sized) they knew exactly what to expect. I think the dancing DJ s#! is really f+*^ing gay. I also know that there are parties where "pumping the dance floor" is not wanted/requested.

Anywhere outside a club that's known for "House" or "Techno" you'd better be prepared to adapt real quick or you're going to be in for a rude awakening and seldom call backs. I'm doing quite well and trying my hardest to stand my ground to stay away from current Top 40. I've haven't played Levels or Skrillex not once at my recently acquired residency, even if it has been requested. I landed the job because the owner of the place was in a martini bar attached to a country club that I was gigging at covering for a friend and he'd requested some "Boogie Nights" type of sounds. Just so happened I had "Living Thing" - ELO on my personal "heavy rotation" playlist so I kicked it off. He tipped me $20, gave me his number, and that was that.

I view a majority of DJ's these days as not true fans of music period. They have a very limited catalog and perspective on all of the music that exists. To prepare to be a mobile DJ you need to have a good grasp on so many different genres of music. A lot of the new school producers/artists that I'm enjoying (Girl Talk, Pretty Lights, Gramatik, A-Trak (not new school, but arguably the best DJ in the world)) are incorporating sounds from the last 50-60 years into their sets/productions. Funk, Jazz, 80's pop, Disco, Reggae, ALL KINDS OF MUSIC!

One of my favorite parts of this job is pulling out a track that everyone over the age of 25 should know, but hasn't heard in 5-20 years. You can see the few people that really dig it and almost read their lips when they say "Wow, I haven't heard this in forever". These are the people that will do you the favor of saying something to management or the bartender in regards to your "performance". What I do is hardly a performance, it's just my job. To play good music. Take your patrons on a ride through history! There's always time at the end of the night to pull out what you like and test the waters a bit
    Last edited by DJ Abide; 07-05-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling/OCD
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    Just curious, do you know the names of any of those lighting pieces? I'd love to look into it further.
    I'm not 100% on them. The guy has a warehouse full of lighting and sound. Basically, any decent par tri led's will give the effect of the blue uplighting. The star type effect was probably coming from some moving heads. I think he uses martin mac 250's.

As for people not wanting to spend money, I feel you. That's what you get though when there is people flood the market with cheap production. prepare for a bit of a rant here... Lots of people end up buying cheap equipment, cheesy lighting (NOT like you see above), and don't have the interaction and event organization skills of a good good production team. Then they offer people their services for half of what the proper guys do. The market is flooded with these types. Then the production is not up to par, equipment fails, or they just aren't prepared, and that results in a bad rep for all the guys trying to do this. Then there's also the fact that the market is flooded with hacks, so that is what people get used to. I can guarantee the guys you see doing it for $350 are using bottom end equipment which when used in mobile applications, has a tendency to fail. You get what you pay for. Bottom line is the pro's use higher end stuff. While it can fail, it's a lot less likely to from the rigors of road gigs like cheaper equipment with cheaper components. Also, most brides aren't going to know the difference between someone bringing a lighting rig with cheesy revos, jellyfish, and derbys versus proper uplighting and a few moving heads and monogram projection. The only way that gets across is by showing videos proving how much better and more elegant one is over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abide View Post
    A-Trak (not new school, but arguably the best DJ in the world)) )
    He just played here in Miami. I didn't go because I can't figure out what he plays? He goes form techy noise to crap (Duck Sauce). I like 20% of the stuff I hear. That ain't going to sell me a ticket.

In the world of DJing, I am most impressed by quality Mobile DJs. It's pretty much like setting up a small concert and having the means to do it. Then dealing with the client and guests during the gig must be unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    He just played here in Miami. I didn't go because I can't figure out what he plays? He goes form techy noise to crap (Duck Sauce). I like 20% of the stuff I hear. That ain't going to sell me a ticket.
    He won DMC at the age of fifteen, definitely from the Hip-Hop culture. His Dirty South Dance albums are the shit. The Duck Sauce venture is authentic, just shows his appreciation of all genres of mus. He's also produced some Hip-Hop stuff. He toured with Kanye for awhile and had a chance to hear music from all over the world in the pinnacle of party spots so I think his sound has evolved to be able to return anywhere he wants and be able to kill it.
    Last edited by DJ Abide; 07-05-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

i do private gigs every now and then, 2 1200s & Rane 57, 2x 15 active behringers & 1 or 2 lights. 2 trips from my car with no dolly or cart. Club djs have it hard too, but its like comparing a Drag Racer & a Indy Car racer, they basically do the same thing but both after very different at the same time. Or heres a better one its like comparing a Army solider to a Marine, they both are in the military but....nevermind, dont want to start the PC vs Mac was of the military.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456