Speakers vs Monitors?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Speakers vs Monitors?

I am just getting into the DJ scene as a sophomore at San Francisco State University. I went with the Numark mixtrack as my controller with the Numark Dj Io souncard. The only item I need now is a set of speakers. However I am not sure if I should go with something like a sony hi-fi speaker system, or some cool monitors like the krk rockits. I need something that will be loud enough for me to use at parties with a usual occupancy of 20-50 people since most SF/ Daly city homes are small but also something compact for my home usage. Another issue is that being a college student makes my budget vert tight to around $200. Ive been told that 1 rockit is able to fill up a small living room. But I am leaning towards getting two incase I end up being in a garage with more space. Any advice or comments would be highly appreciated. Also if I do end up getting two krk rockits is it necessary to buy an extra subwoofer?
    Last edited by marcushhh; 07-02-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Depending on how loud those 50 people are, neither of aforementioned setups you mentioned will be adequate. Unless of course you're talking about a Sony receiver combined with some full range speakers. But if you're talking about a bookshelf system, you're better of renting speakers for house parties.

Tech Convert

I don't have money to just rent pa system like that any time I want to DJ a party. But is it possible to two krk rockits to handle at least 30-40?

Quote Originally Posted by marcushhh View Post
    I don't have money to just rent pa system like that any time I want to DJ a party. But is it possible to two krk rockits to handle at least 30-40?
    I'm not sure about where you live, but around here even the smallest KRK Rockit costs almost $200/each.

Keep in mind that KRK rockits are "studio monitors" not "loudespeakers". They're also referred to as "near-field" monitors. Which means they're meant to be heard at a close distance. For a party, I wouldn't get anything less than KRK's with 8 inch woofers, but even them I'm skeptical about whether or not it's loud enough...And if you find out the hard way, you're out whatever it cost you instead of just saving that money for speakers that'll really rock the party.

Why don't you go to your local rental store and rent some gear to test out before spending money on something that won't fit your needs? I rented a Yorkville C170P which is a full range powered speaker with an 8 inch woofer and has similar specs to the KRK 8-inch...I'm skeptical about whether or not two of them would be loud enough, and the BIGGER problem is that they didn't have any bass.

If you want to rent speakers for parties get your friends to chip in. I don't know what they cost where you are, but around here you can rent to 550watt yorkville NX55P's for $20 each/night.

Tech Mentor

Oh man... With a budget that small, look no where else but your local craigslist. Find a pair of old school house speakers with 12" or 15" woofers and just use a receiver to power them. I have a pallet of them that I used to lend out to friends having parties and they did quite well for 50 people.

Tech Convert

sss18734 can you please reply with a google image link of some examples of the house speakers and the reveiver. And to tokenasianguy do you think the yorkville NX55P's have a nice bass sound?

Quote Originally Posted by marcushhh View Post
    sss18734 can you please reply with a google image link of some examples of the house speakers and the reveiver. And to tokenasianguy do you think the yorkville NX55P's have a nice bass sound?
    The NX55's have more than enough. It can always be improved with a sub, but most people would say it's more than enough.

I think what SSS18734 is talking about is just getting an old home stereo type receiver and used speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    The NX55's have more than enough. It can always be improved with a sub, but most people would say it's more than enough.

I think what SSS18734 is talking about is just getting an old home stereo type receiver and used speakers.
    a used home stereo setup and receiver would probably be something you can get for your budget that should do the trick. that's what i always used at older house parties and the sound was good enough. monitors are out of the question because they only really sound good in the near field which makes the sweet spot very small.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    a used home stereo setup and receiver would probably be something you can get for your budget that should do the trick. that's what i always used at older house parties and the sound was good enough. monitors are out of the question because they only really sound good in the near field which makes the sweet spot very small.
    Back in the day, I got my dads old Akai tube amp that put out 250w and ran two 15's and two 12's all night, and really rocked my friends house.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinge...74-i1430143.gc
    Just saw these on guitar centers site and they are a steal for that price, keep in mind the bass will not thump as much as u want it to but I have had a pair for about a year and i'm satisfied with them as my mains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast