How do you take over in a line-up?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How do you take over in a line-up?

How do you take over from another DJ who's not the "warm up" DJ?
    He's most likely just finished with a really high energy/bpm song, and then you have to begin your set. You can't keep going up from the last song, but you don't want to kill the energy.
    Anyone with experience willing to share their strategies?
    Thaaaanks!

Tech Mentor

I just mix in whatever I feel is appropriate, as if I were the previous DJ playing the next track. I dunno, it's not really a big deal or anything IMO, just don't kill the vibe.

With us its good to let the audience know the previous dj has finished and that you are about to do your thing. For example going from a hardtrance set to electro. Don't feel you have to compete with them just concentrate on your own performance. You will need to judge the vibe of the audience just before you start and may have to reshuffle some of your tracks, which will become second nature with a few gigs under the belt. Its also good to have a few "transition tracks" for a smoothish changeover if thats what you are aiming for. If the previous dj is cool you may be able to coordinate a strategy with them but if they are an asshole you'll have to work out something yourself.
    Last edited by Jester; 06-02-2009 at 12:21 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

there's i golden rule and the biggest mistake that you can do playing after the headliner dj (the mistake i did myself) - mix his last song. unless he tells you that you can mix in whenever you want. because pretty often headliners play their own superfamouscooltrack which everyone loves and he wants it to play up until the end...

and generally, if you're playing totally different style, then just wait for the song to finish, clap for the previous dj and start your set.

Tech Guru

I would also say .. sometimes the audience wants a short break from the hardcode stuff. Get a drink or take a leak. Also especially if your groove is totally different, you might end up screwing up your set, just because you started on the wrong foot, in case you feel obliged to stick with what the previous DJ played.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

+1 for aout6.

i don't like mixing in after the touring semi-famous dj has blown twelve or so loads all over the dance floor. i used to do this and found myself playing very poorly the rest of the night trying to keep up with him. i reckon that's why he tours and i don't.

give them their due respect, deserved or not (usually deserved), and acknowledge that the energy has peaked for the time being. briefly thank him/her/them on the mic, thank the crowd, let them woo and applaud for a moment, or get an mc to do it while you intro your set and start building up to another peak.

i say just take what theyve left you, and from there, adjust the mood to be representative of what you want to play
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

just as the previous guy spins off, bash him over the head with his own gear and yell "YA LIKE THAT HUH!? THEN CHECK THIS OUT!" and then start playing benny benassi - satisfaction
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

This is just my opinion but if playing after (one of the) the main acts, always let the record play out, many people will have no idea that the person they paid the coin for has finished otherwise.

You obviously dont want to kill the energy, but this does not mean you should play at tune at the same level as what they finished on, you need to divert the energy.

I play d&b so say if the guy before finished on some heavy, wall of bass, neuro-funk tune I'd probably play a popular liquid tune that every body will know.

This keeps people on the floor, or makes them come back after going to grab another drink.

Once you have established the change in DJ to the audience, and re-grouped the crowd its all you!

+1 with MidiFidler, let the track play from the previous dj's set, Ived seen this too often here in L.A. where once a djs time is done, the next dj rips the usb cable out of the serato box and plugs it into his *dead air* and the MC jumps on and introduces the next dj and kills the floor!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast