At what point are you satisfied with your mix?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default At what point are you satisfied with your mix?

Hey guys, I was curious as to the way you record a mix.
    Now I don't know if I'm being too hard on myself, but if I make tiny mistakes like the beat matching strays off for a few seconds or the phrasing isn't what I want I start over.

I have a very difficult time deciding on the tracks to play as well and I can never seem to get it "just right".
    So what is to be expected of a promo? Are tiny mistakes here and there a big deal? Do you take the time to plan it out or do you mix on the fly, record and it's done... Really interested to hear your feedback on this..

Peace

Its a recorded piece of work you are promoting yourself with. It should be the best you can do.

Theres no harm in re-recording all or even parts of the mix and splicing it back together if needed. It all goes to the end result.
    Plan it out if you like, it'll only be better for it.

Just make sure it IS an accurate representation of what you can do live.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

One and done, nothing more to it that that. Just figure out your opening track and let it ride from there, then after 70-80 mins call it a day and burn that bitch to disc

Listening to your mistakes is the best way to ensure you break those habits. Seriously - record EVERYTHING you do, and listen to it back all the way through. You'll be glad you did.

Pretty soon, you'll find yourself listening to entire mixes that you are happy with, instead of just the odd transition...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

at the point where i get a big big smile on my face when i listen to my own transitions. and most of the time it´s one shot first try.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

When ı hear the transition over and over again if it makes my heart go crazy then I said to my self you did a good job bastard with a big smile
    Macbook Pro-Mixmeister Fusion-Traktor Pro 2-Audio 2

Tech Mentor

when my transitions are spot on and brings a smile to my face. Also pleased with track selection too.
    DJ Setup: MacBook Pro, TSP 2.5, (2) Stanton STR8-100, Ecler NUO4, Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, Stanton DJ Pro 2000 headphones, Ortofon Nightclub needles.

I know it's right when my wife throws her panties at me.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Pretty much never. If I listed to a mix Ive done enough times I can always hear something that could have been a tiny bit better.

I think this is similar to musician training, you do less and less mistakes over time based on practice and experience. I doubt anyone could get down to zero mistakes for a very long time period, can't do much about synopses misfiring due to lack of oxygen or similar things we can't control -- especially for us left-handed that have a totally bizarre brain wiring so the synopses misfire now and then whether we want or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast