After recording a mix

Default After recording a mix

What do you lot do after you've recorded a mix? Like do you load it into a DAW and put some light compression, EQ on it? or sort out the levels if they are uneven?

I did read a good thread about it on here but can't seem to find it anymore which is why I signed up to ask.

What, if any, are the best things to do with your recorded mix before unleashing it on the public?

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=31907
    was that the thread you were talking about?

I personally don't master mixes, although I have been considering it more lately. If I was seriously seeking gigs, it wouldn't be a consideration but a necessity.

Yes! That's the thread. Thanks a lot.

Tbh as long as your levels are fine throughout the mix (you shouldn't really be recording a mix if you can't get levels right) I don't see the point in mastering a mix much.
    I agree that I would give it more thought if I was handing mix CD's out to promotors/clubs etc.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by drrrracula View Post
    Tbh as long as your levels are fine throughout the mix (you shouldn't really be recording a mix if you can't get levels right) I don't see the point in mastering a mix much.
    This definitely for me, I believe it's part of the basic responsibility of the DJ to get the levels correct through the transitions as well as the overall set. You can't post process a live set in a club so why when practising/recording demos would you do differently IMHO - it's not a proper reflection of a DJ's ability.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You can't post process a live set in a club so why when practising/recording demos would you do differently IMHO - it's not a proper reflection of a DJ's ability.
    Yes: Because things sound VERY different on the car or home stereo the promoter/fans will listen to your mix on than in a Club enviornment.

I always record a bit under volume to avoid clipping then drop it in Ableton to get it to the right volume, but I just do the whole mix not adjust different track volumes - that should be fine from the mix..
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Yes: Because things sound VERY different on the car or home stereo the promoter/fans will listen to your mix on than in a Club enviornment.
    True. My personal view is; recording a mix is still recording a mix at the end of the day, the tracks played have already been mixed, mastered and published, they are the finished article in the ears of the producer and engineer. I agree if we're talking about production (very important to consider final audio output configs) but mixing already mastered tracks is a different matter. TBH why would anyone try to mix differently at home for demo mixes to that in a club environment (home listening mixes aside) especially if your final objective is to play out in clubs, it doesn't make any sense to me.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.