Need helping choosing new headphones...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Need helping choosing new headphones...

I am in the market for a new pair of headphones. My first pair were Sennheiser HD 202, not bad headphones but the flimsy cable broke. Next I purchased a pair of Shure SRH440, these were good but not very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I sold those when I received a pair of Pioneer HDJ-500 last Christmas, I do like the sound but do not like how they are on ear headphones. This is the reason I have not purchased the Sennheiser HD-25 ii. I have been doing a ton of research and have it narrowed down too two pair. I am looking at the Technics RP-DH1200 & Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. I am leaning towards the Sennheisers but the $199 price is stopping me since the Technics are $120 on amazon.com. I use Sennheiser earbuds at work and when I am working out and LOVE them. Please give me any comments, opinions and/or views on the Technics RP-DH1200 or Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. Thanks!

pioneer hdj2000 are the best headphones and the hdj 1500 are pretty close as well
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Mentor

I did look at the HDJ 1500 but they look to be on ear as the cup size didn't look to big but I could be wrong. HDJ 2000 are $$$$. Thanks for your reply.

I've had Technics RP-DH1200s for a couple years now and they've been great headphones. They did, however, just crack recently(as a result of my own handling of them, I wouldn't blame the headphones) and I just replaced them with a pair of AIAIAI TMA-1s. I'll have a review of them tomorrow.

Another model to consider are the Audio Technica ath-m50s. They're less expensive and have been very well reviewed.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

Tech Mentor

The one concern I have about the Technics RP-DH1200 are the weight. The HDJ-500 I have now are 6.8 oz & the Sennheiser HD-380s are 7.7oz but the Technics are 12.7oz. Do you find them to be too heavy? The Shure 440s I had was 9.6 oz and I thought they were a little heavy after a long period of wearing them.

I will take a look at the Audio Technica ath-m50s. Thanks!

I've had the HD-25ii and I have HDJ-2000s. I want my senns back. I am looking to sell my 2000s eventually and get a set of amperiors.

Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, won't look back after using these

Tech Wizard

Absolutely love my Shure DJ750

I just purchased a pair of HDJ-2000k's and while I've been putting off the purchase for a while since i couldn't justify the cost for a set of cans I can surely say that purchasing them has been one of the best decisions I've made. While I had use them many times before I only came to that conclusion after buying them.

If the HDJ-2000's are out of your financial reach, i would strongly consider taking a look at the HDJ-1500 OR the Xone XD2-53's. I've owned the Technics RP-DH1200's and while they were a GREAT pair of can's... they just weren't up to par with some current offerings that aren't too much more.

Edit: I've also used the HD-25's and they are great, Personally I think the HJ-2000's sound better, and on top of that I've never been a on-ear guy. If you are looking for on-ear I'd also recommend taking a look at AIAIA TMA-1's

Quote Originally Posted by DJ G-REG View Post
    The one concern I have about the Technics RP-DH1200 are the weight. The HDJ-500 I have now are 6.8 oz & the Sennheiser HD-380s are 7.7oz but the Technics are 12.7oz. Do you find them to be too heavy? The Shure 440s I had was 9.6 oz and I thought they were a little heavy after a long period of wearing them.

I will take a look at the Audio Technica ath-m50s. Thanks!
    I didn't find them to be too heavy, but make no mistake, with the Techs you're getting a big set of headphones. That didn't bother me, but its something to consider depending on your personal tastes. If I were to describe the Technics in three words, they would be tough, comfortable and loud. Louie V is right though, as far as sound quality goes, The Pioneers, Senns, and AIAIAI's are in a class above what you're getting with the Techs.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast