Xone DB4 question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Xone DB4 question

I am playing on an Allen & Heath Xone DB4 with Pioneer CDJ 2000's and have noticed some wierd sounds. One of the decks has a wierd metallic sound to it. It as if there are effects running all the time even though the effects processor is off. Has anyone heard of this? I have a gig tonight and was planning on using to live for the first time, but now I'm not so sure it should be used.
    Allen & Heath Xone DB4/2-Pioneer CDJ 2000's/Maschine/Audio 10/S4

Tech Convert

It does seem more noticable after it's been on for a few hours. What do you mean by "resetting mixer fix"?
    Allen & Heath Xone DB4/2-Pioneer CDJ 2000's/Maschine/Audio 10/S4

If you reset the mixer or turn the fx on then off again, it should fix it. (I'm just clearing up his statement I don't even have a DB4)
    (You're Lucky)
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

Yeah I've not noticed this but seen other issues when the mixer is on all night; it no longer plays well with Traktor, and even without traktor on at all I've noticed substantial latency. I presume that something gets clogged up in the DSP when it's on for many hours. Next time I notice it I will try just resetting the effects on/off rather than turning the mixer on and off because the latter is more of a pain (requires me to turn the speakers on/off separately too).
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

DB4 seems to be riddled with problems o.O
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

really? world wide experience and our service crew say quite the opposite. my 2 db4's are so horribly abused from flights that you'd be surprised that they work at all. same for my k2's. only problems have been bent xlink pins from other's abuse.

a few things to consider - update your firmware as well as your drivers. support is continually working to respond to any issues and keep things working well.

power cycling your mixer and computer are absolutely essential. especially on the cpu side, there are many memory bits and tasks that only get flushed on a reboot. so when one is feeling that traktor no longer plays well, then reboot. when troubleshooting, that's also one of the very first places to start.
    Last edited by mix architekt; 07-06-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Well if im paying top price for a mixer, i expect it to be flawless, ive never had any problems with my DJMs, and the Rane mixers that run for 10 hours+ where i play, yet if i leave a db4 on for a couple of hours my music starts to sound metallic and ive got to start re-setting things, plus there was all the dodgy units released when they were first released.

Only ever seem to hear about problems with the DB4 on this forum

im not flaming as such im just wondering why there seems to be problems with this mixer, surely it should have had extensive testing and quality checks before the units were sent out.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

have you actually had this experience with a db4?

i've been using them all over the world, some installed, other times my own, and this is not my experience.

and also consider that all tools have parameters in which they function well, and others not. add into the equation other factors like cabling, cpu's, etc. and there are a lot of variables to consider - outside of just the mixer.

how many out there are running cdj's with the coax inputs rather than adding in multiple a/d/a's with the analogue inputs? how many people are running mis-matched samplerates with their source material which creates conversions to happen on the software side?

nothing is flawless, and it's simply a matter of choosing to enjoy the benefits, and embrace the faults if the tool facilitates your creative expression. and in this case, it's probably not the right mixer for your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Well if im paying top price for a mixer, i expect it to be flawless, ive never had any problems with my DJMs, and the Rane mixers that run for 10 hours+ where i play, yet if i leave a db4 on for a couple of hours my music starts to sound metallic and ive got to start re-setting things, plus there was all the dodgy units released when they were first released.
    I'm not sure I get the "music starts to sound metallic" issue, certainly not after a couple of hours; the only problem I've seen is latency and that is from leaving it on, unused, overnight. I'm ok with power cycling my mixer (and turning it off before bed) so I don't see this as a major issue. As for the dodgy units, I received one and it was replaced quickly, no questions or hassles. Overall my experience with the DB4 is extremely positive. The biggest thing I'd say this mixer has going for it is the ongoing support and firmware development, something I'm not seeing in any other mixer on the planet. I think too many companies encourage users to treat their products as throwaway so they can be sold an upgrade down the line. A+H seem to be saying that they'd like to see us continuing to use our DB4s several years down the road, even if the DB8 or whatever is coming out. (The other thing I find just incredible - and also unique to DB series mixers - is the filter mixing option, but that's a story for another thread).
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

My db4 has been working perfect for over a year now. Loving it to bits!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast