Empire of the Sun - Walking on a Dream (CMP Remix)
    Tech Mentor

Default Empire of the Sun - Walking on a Dream (CMP Remix)

soundcloud.com/celebrity-murder-party/em...derparty-co-uk-remix

t's a bit of an experiment.

I wanted to write something that was the antithesis of what i'd been working on recently. ie no sidechain pumping, no over aggressive synths, no big crash cymbals, no snare drums - taking the minimal aesthetic and applying it to a more traditional pop format. In there i'm influenced a bit by dubstep (in the middle - although it also sounds a bit ultravox) and kind of classical stuff like Steve Reich and Terry Riley.

The chord sequence i'm particularly proud of - again i was going for that Steve Reich thing where the harmony sublimates the simple repetitive vocals. It's kind of an ambiguous drone thing, but there' actually a lot of movement, and the chords are subtle - for example they're never repeated exactly the same way throughout the song.

It's not a million miles away from the original in terms of arrangement - it's the same basic guitar, synth, drums, bass format, but the mood is radically altered from a summery pop track to a dark brooding thing.

Doesn't really make any sense without the bass, so listen on headphones or something with a bit of bass.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

The link was shortened, so include it again.
    I'm eager to hear it.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Nice remix dude Manix remix awesome too.....!!!

I really dig it man! Nice job
    One little critic though..I think the sounds saturate a little bit on some samples from the original (on the vocals actually).
    How did you get the parts? What DAW did you use ?

Tech Mentor

Cheers fella.

This was all created in Ableton live 6, and the weird saturation appears to have been caused by the mix summing.

Yesterday i upgraded to 8.03 and the weird sounds have gone. When i get a chance i'll re-upload it and share it on here just to prove it.

I did do some additional programming in Cubase SL3, because i prefer the midi implementation on that....

The stems came from here:

http://www.filter-mag.com/index.php?id=18992&c=1

I love that song and I love remixes, keeps it fresh enough to keep on listening to it for longer

I love your take on it, the bit after 2:36 is my favourite part. Great job!