Two controllers, one traktor, same messages are sent by controllers

Default Two controllers, one traktor, same messages are sent by controllers

Hi DJTT. See if you can help me out with this one. I have a VCI-100 firmware rev 1.2, and a Numark Total Control, and I'd like to use them both on one instance of Traktor for 4 deck control. Turns out they send some of the same MIDI messages on the same channel, which presents a serious problem for mapping. As it stands now I'd like to use the final Traktor Pro mapping from DJTT and a custom mapping I spent eons making for the Numark congruently.

I tried using the TraktorTools TSI merge utility, but it doesn't really inspect the TSI files and so there were many conflicts, resulting a nasty soup of MIDI and music. Next step was to download Bome's Midi translator and see if I could bump all of one of the controller's messages to a different MIDI channel and see if I could do a find and replace on it's TSI file to move it's mapping to a new channel, but Bome doesn't seem to support "wild card" MIDI message translations. I could only figure out how to translate exact messages to something else, as opposed to everything on one channel to a different one.

What I could do would be to find every conflict between the two controllers, translate it to something different, and relearn in Traktor. This would suck a lot, and there would be no guarantee I would find everything, so please don't make me. I could also use a second laptop, but I hear MIDI sync is super unreliable and drifts a bunch, especially over ethernet (I don't have two MIDI interfaces). The second laptop solution would actually be good if anyone knows how to make it work well, as there will be two of us using these controllers.

What I ask of you is this: do you know of any option in Bome, or any other translator that can change channels, OR how to change the transmission channel of either the VCI 100 or Numark Total Control, OR a robust two laptop setup for two sync'd Traktor instances. I'd forever be in your debt.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Honestly, your best bet, in a situation like this, is to map the VCI in Bomes, move all the messages to channel 2 (so incoming will be 90 xx pp and outgoing will be 91 xx pp) and then add the VCI-100 mapping to your Numark map.

Make sense?

You can also use MIDI-Ox to take all of the incoming messages from your VCI-100 and switch them to channel 2 (I believe). I haven't done that yet, but I'm pretty sure there's a utility for it.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    You can also use MIDI-Ox to take all of the incoming messages from your VCI-100 and switch them to channel 2 (I believe). I haven't done that yet, but I'm pretty sure there's a utility for it.
    Be careful with midi-ox. I've had some horrible latency issues with that program. I would try bomes first and perhaps last.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried Midi-Yoke, which is made by the same person as Midi-Ox, and it is a hack at best. I found it really finicky, but I'll try out Midi-Ox tonight. The Numark mapping is much less complicated than the DJTT VCI-100 tsi so if I were to translate I'd probably do it for the Numark. I'll have to make translations for each individual function right? And for all the outgoing messages for the lights? Doesn't sound like much fun.

How bout running two instances of Traktor on the same computer? Does anyone have any experience doing that?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, what you would do is just change the channel for each incoming and outgoing message to 2. It wouldn't take terribly long. And then you'd merge them together.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall