Beginner controller for use with traktor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beginner controller for use with traktor

So I've been searching around this forum for a cheap and good beginner midi controller to use with traktor. I mostly play electro/house from like sinden, crookers, herve and such. ALl I want to do it to learn some basics. I have traktor pro allready so I just need a midi controller. Im just planing to use it at home to play around.

The m-audio X-Session Pro looks pretty good, it has a good price also. Alltough it looks limited? With such few knobs and such, if you compare it to a behringer for the same price.

I've also been looking at the BEHRINGER VMX200 PRO MIXER

http://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_vmx200_pro_mixer.htm

So what should I choose? Max price is about 130 dollar/100 euro.

I started off in the digital world with just an xsession pro. But within 6 months I needed more. So I picked up a used oxygen 8.

I assume if you start to really get into the digital world you will feel the same. But the one good thing about the xsp is that you only spent $60-100. If you hate it, at least you didn't fork over $500.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Went straight for the VCI-100, after reading on this site, if you have to save longer it'll be well worth it
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

The thing is Im not the one buying it, but its my gf as a birth day gift. Because I know she would buy me the VCI-100 if I wanted it. But I dont want her to buy me such an expensive thing :P

I think its all depending on the price range. For about 100€ you could easily get a xps and a nanopad/key. Controllers with more functionality are starting at this point.
    try to look for the imix reload mk2. does everything a vci100 does... even the touch-sensitive jogs. They ship for about 250€. You could also try and get a used BehringerBCD3000. or a numark controller. theres plenty of controllers in this range. But if you do have some savings, or your gf in this case, i would suggest to go straight for a vci100/300. I know i would if i could peace

Quote Originally Posted by greatmesk View Post
    I think its all depending on the price range. For about 100€ you could easily get a xps and a nanopad/key. Controllers with more functionality are starting at this point.
    try to look for the imix reload mk2. does everything a vci100 does... even the touch-sensitive jogs. They ship for about 250€. You could also try and get a used BehringerBCD3000. or a numark controller. theres plenty of controllers in this range. But if you do have some savings, or your gf in this case, i would suggest to go straight for a vci100/300. I know i would if i could peace
    Ive been looking at behringer, seems like you get a lot for such a small ammount of cash? I've also read some mixed reviews about the build quality and such. Is it better to go with a new xps or a used bcd 2000?

stay away from the bcd2000. they exchanged some parts in the bcd3000. Its really good at this pricerange, but keep in mind its case is made of thick plastic, not metal. The bcd3000 is build fine, solid knobs and faders, plastic caps but metal parts.nice feedback from the buttons. Dont know to much about its compability with tp cause is use vdj.

You have to consider what functions you´ll need. The xps is basically all you need to get started, but the bcd gives you plenty of more options like jogwheels, a decent soundcard, you can add cd-decks, turntables and have a few buttons more. But if you wanna go for the bcd3000 save a few bucks more and get a dj-tech imix reload mk2. Its like a vci300, touch sensitive jogs, soundcard and a few more buttons than the bcd3000.

Its even traktor certified
    Last edited by greatmesk; 06-05-2009 at 10:47 AM.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

It's not Traktor Certified it's Traktor Ready. Big difference.
    Worth pointing out :-)

The i-mix reload would be a good one to start with. Still a bit "plasticky" but the wheels are metal and have a nice feel to them. I got a club edition as i couldn't quite stretch for the reload at the time. There is a tsi file in traktor for the reload, but most factory tsi's are crap, but it may do till you get to the stage where you want to customise the settings.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    It's not Traktor Certified it's Traktor Ready. Big difference.
    Worth pointing out :-)
    LOL

I'd go with the x-session pro. Enough controls to get around, not enough to get lost, and someone else will always be looking for one if/when you feel like trading it away for a VCI / APD.
    reason, live7, traktor pro, m-audio x-session, m-audio O2, KRK RP5, Roland RD300sx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast