Opinions on my concept DJ logos - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

This topic became something I wasn't expecting this is all very informative with all the different points of view. Lets keep the discussion going I say.

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    tokenasianguy:

it seems to me and probably to everyone else who has read every one of your long winded diatribes that you seem to have a problem handling having a discussion, and or debate. I didn't have to write a novel of posts for the OP, Fressure, to say "Matt gets why I'm doing this". This is now the 2nd time in a thread where you feel the need to personally attack me, and act like an immature 7yo who isn't getting their way. Again, 2nd time you stooped down to that level, when I have done as I always do, stay to the topic in the thread and comment on it. Get a grip....and like the last time, you just lost all credibility....Did you like any of the logos....yes or no?
    I have no patience for people that attempt to argue against "best practices" or "dance around them", claiming that there's situations where they don't matter. They always matter. You can do a job right, or you can do it your way.

I'm not credible? I have 7 years of corporate marketing and read dozens of books and/or reports and/or data on usability statistics, eye-tracking studies, etc. etc. What makes you credible? One look at your site and the answer is "Nothing". You have no credentials, and don't even have a keen eye. With a site like yours, you shouldn't be anywhere near a discussion about marketing collateral because you've committed all of the cardinal sins in design, layout, usability, etc. etc. Last time, attacking your site was a low blow, but in this discussion its totally relevant, especially since we're talking about design and you're claiming to have a relevant opinion in that realm, but your site would prove otherwise. What's with the twinkling stars in your background?! Even someone with half a brain would know how amateur that looks. And that's the best template you could find?! If there's one thing I know better than anything else, it's Marketing.

You seem to think that him saying you get him is a victory, and yet the only one that has been asked for additional insight is me...Not to mention I got a PM with the OP saying he likes my advice, and i'm going to continue to offer more insight in the hopes that he can avoid some of the mistakes that I myself have made. If that offends you, then get over it...Bro. It's helping someone no matter how much you want to resist.

Do I like the logos? They're ok. Compared to your site all 6 of them make your site look like something those logos crapped out.

You need to swallow your pride and listen to someone who knows what they're talking about. I'm not saying I'm the worlds leading expert in marketing, but nobody in this thread has volunteered as much insight into how to create a logo the right way, as I have...And for the most part, it seems to be resonating with the OP. I couldn't care less what you think, except that it's annoying that you pretend to have some significant role or opinion in this discussion. If I've provided some insight to the OP (or any lurkers), and kept him from making some mistakes, then I've done what I set out to do.

Although I still have no idea why my advice bothers you. I offered the same advice to you, and instead of taking it you came in here and lashed out against it. So it's confusing to say the least...
    Last edited by tokenasianguy; 07-09-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by djmoonie View Post
    I think you need to take a breath and re-read your posts. They are coming across very defensive, and the last bit, frankly just rude.
    I consider myself to be a humanitarian by all respects, but I get extremely angry with people being mislead and being told that due process doesn't matter in logo design, by someone who has no credentials or taste in the field.

I came in offering what I found to valuable information, and despite the fact that it resonated with the OP, some clown is still arguing with me about how irrelevant it is.

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    I came in offering what I found to valuable information, and despite the fact that it resonated with the OP, some clown is still arguing with me about how irrelevant it is.
    And you acknowledged him. That's where you lost. Someone asked for input, got both positive and constructive criticism, and certain people feel the constructive criticism is too much. As a fellow designer, I can tell you that you already made a silly move by trying to engage someone who obviously doesn't understand good design basics, or the importance of them after more than a couple of interactions. Even the OP doesn't seem to be interested in it. Let him make the mistakes. You (we) said our peace. He'll either learn, or be someone who never appreciates or benefits from what good design can help with.

Speaking of that's where you lost, "That's When Ya Lost"...

Tech Mentor

See where token is coming from. Dont just slap stuff together when doing this. Because doing so will actually make you look very unprofessional. If stuff like say a website looks like a 10 year olds geocities site then you pretty much aitomatically lose credibility. I would trust a business that has just random shit on a website just to have it.

Tech Mentor

tokenasianguy...smh

I am not arguing against anything you're saying about having a business model or the implementation of a business model. The guy just asked everyone's opinion about a logo...thats it.
    Again don't get me wrong, I am not arguing your points about having a business model, business strategy, setting goals, implementing them, running the business. It wasn't about that. It was about...do ya like my logo ideas....
    I did say that, scroll back and look.....

I'm not credible? I have 7 years of corporate marketing and read dozens of books and/or reports and/or data on usability statistics, eye-tracking studies, etc. etc. What makes you credible? One look at your site and the answer is "Nothing". You have no credentials, and don't even have a keen eye. With a site like yours, you shouldn't be anywhere near a discussion about marketing collateral because you've committed all of the cardinal sins in design, layout, usability, etc. etc. Last time, attacking your site was a low blow, but in this discussion its totally relevant, especially since we're talking about design and you're claiming to have a relevant opinion in that realm, but your site would prove otherwise. What's with the twinkling stars in your background?! Even someone with half a brain would know how amateur that looks. And that's the best template you could find?! If there's one thing I know better than anything else, it's Marketing.
    Discussion about marketing collateral? I never said I know anything about any of what you posted, I just said, the guy is asking about a logo....I will say it again and loud and clear so you understand I AM NOT DEBATING ABOUT ANYTHING YOU HAVE SAID ABOUT MARKETING, BEST PRACTICES, STRATEGY.......

YOU, not me turned a simple question about which logo do you guys think is good into your agenda about marketing and business models which I never claimed to know about or even commented on except to say the guy asked about a logo. Instead of having a healthy debate and discussion about logos, and why a company has a certain logo and what not, you took it personally, you got defensive, you resort to name calling, bashing, riidiculing, trashing and what some would consider just bullying. It seems that whenever you feel challenged or someone comments on something you said and isn't in agreement with you, you can't seem to respond without getting defensive and start the bashing and name calling. I haven't done any of those things directed at you or anyone and the evidence is in the posts, what I said, and what you said. Even when I said "c'mon bro" which was a sentiment to say, hey we're all on the same team trying to help, though we may have differing ways, opinions etc. the first thing you said was "Im not your bro", thats totally defensive and sets the arguementative tone.

You gave the OP something more to think about that he hadn't thought about before...bravo to you. I never questioned your experience or credentials and you do seem to know what you are talking about for the most part when it comes to marketing and branding etc. But ya know how you can see a really really hot girl from across the room and she is just so incredibly hot until she opens her mouth.....equate that to what I said about you losing credibility.....Its not always about what you say, its how you go about saying it...

I really havent read through this thread... but Fressure sounds WAY TOO SIMILAR to fissure. When I think of fissure, i think of anal fissure, which leads me to think of assholes that bleed. I just threw it by a couple DJ buddies and they all immidiately thought of fissure as well... something you should certainly think about man. Ill tell ya, your name holds more clout than most realize. Not only that, but, direct word relations to your name matter as well IMO. I know a produer who went by Dookz (hip hop guy) and after a while realized Dookz sounded too much like deuce, or dookie, and rethought his entire approach to a name. Since the name change, his career has really taken off, and I certainly feel that mad people looked at his "stage name," thought of poop and never hit him back.

I went through a ton of names before I found one that:

A) I like very much
    B) Sounds catchy
    C) Fits my personality and playing style.

I go by empYre. The uppercase Y in my logo is a font that makes it look like an i with two arms in the air (a fan with their arms up). I also used the phrase "join the empYre" a lot initially; one of my first remixes (before becoming empyre) featured an emperor palpatine (Star wars) intro and someone mentioned calling myself the emperor. I hated that name, but, did some thinking and voila, empYre it was. My twitter handle is @jointheempyre and i have receieved generally good input from different individuals pertaining to my logo.

Here is a copy of my logo...

577657_348707935188706_1050626887_n.jpeg

Also, if anyone in the NY/NJ area is in need of logo design, an Electronic Press Kit, or professional photography, PM me. I have designed logos for a shit ton of DJ/producers in the NYC scene. I just finished a press kit for a Pacha resident DJ (Huge Euge) and my associate and I do pro level photography in case you are in need of headshots/ press photos/ EPK filler.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by supraman1120 View Post
    I really havent read through this thread... but Fressure sounds WAY TOO SIMILAR to fissure. When I think of fissure, i think of anal fissure, which leads me to think of assholes that bleed. I just threw it by a couple DJ buddies and they all immidiately thought of fissure as well... something you should certainly think about man. Ill tell ya, your name holds more clout than most realize. Not only that, but, direct word relations to your name matter as well IMO. I know a produer who went by Dookz (hip hop guy) and after a while realized Dookz sounded too much like deuce, or dookie, and rethought his entire approach to a name. Since the name change, his career has really taken off, and I certainly feel that mad people looked at his "stage name," thought of poop and never hit him back.

I went through a ton of names before I found one that:

A) I like very much
    B) Sounds catchy
    C) Fits my personality and playing style.

I go by empYre. The uppercase Y in my logo is a font that makes it look like an i with two arms in the air (a fan with their arms up). I also used the phrase "join the empYre" a lot initially; one of my first remixes (before becoming empyre) featured an emperor palpatine (Star wars) intro and someone mentioned calling myself the emperor. I hated that name, but, did some thinking and voila, empYre it was. My twitter handle is @jointheempyre and i have receieved generally good input from different individuals pertaining to my logo.

Here is a copy of my logo...

577657_348707935188706_1050626887_n.jpeg
    OK the whole thing about thinking about anal bleeding....damn, I don't think anyone wants to be known as DJ analbleed, lol.

Question for ya, do u find yourself having to explain that its empYre with a Y and not an I. Obviously if someone sees the logo they already know but has that been any problem for you? My original DJ name was DJ Grooveey and I started thinking that having to explain the 2 "E's" and a "Y" was going to cause problems, besides not really feeling the name and feeling that something incorporating my first name was better for me.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast