upcoming dj help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default upcoming dj help

Hey everyone my name is Jay im 26 years old. I want to get back into djing. I was into it a little 10 years ago. But everything has changed. I have got the urge to hit it hard so i need some help. I was talking to a local dj in the area. I need advice on what equipment i should get. I have a toshiba i core 3 processor laptop. should that be adequate enough just to get started at home to get into things. I was advised to get the numark ns6, comes with serato itch, as far as speakers i dont think i need anything crazy to get going. i was going to check out ebay and craigslist. Should i get powered speakers. and if so what should i get. Other than that i will need speaker and laptop stands. Is there anything else im forgetting besides wires? Thanks for whoever can point me in the right direction.

Hey man, congrats on your decision. Basically, you have a lot of options! You could get an analogue setup, digital setup, or somewhere in between (DVS). It's totally dependent on factors such as budget, your goals, the type of DJing you do, and other factors. Tons of people have posted very similar threads on here and all sorts of solid advice has been given. Your best bet is probably to search for those and do research. Good luck!

Headphones are nice... tons of options but you should be ready to set aside $100-200.

Tech Convert

If you are going to be serious about DJing and sticking with it i would jump to moderately good equipment. Such as a Traktor S4 (Onsale for $799) or VCI-400(Priced $999) or Pioneer DDJ T-1 ($999) These are all 4 channel mixers that offer quality and lots of room to advance. But also you must consider costs of headphones, speakers and accessories. So be prepared to spend up to $1500!

If your looking to have fun and start off easy going there are lots of options under $500! Just remember you may find yourself holding back because of the equipment.

As far as speakers go you shouldnt be too worried if you are not planning on producing your own songs. look to get something with a little bit of bass so you have an idea of how well you can use it in a club setting.

I have a pair of monitors that i use at home but started as simply with some logitech computer speakers that actually worked very well for me! http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-2-Pie...g=smbinfnet-20

Hope this helps.
    Alex Kellar
    Traktor
    S4

I'm honestly going to say, get CDJ's or Turntables and a DVS. I know it's bucking the trend here a bit, but it's the choice I decided to go with for myself, and I really think it's the way to go. This is a very controller friendly place, and I'm sure others will have great things to say otherwise too. So take what I say here with a grain of salt, and keep your mind open to all of the suggestions and make your personal choice from there

You didn't say where you are from, but generally those (CDJ/TT) are going to be the equipment choices that will most easily get you a spot spinning in a club. No matter what people say about it, I've seen in practice that people who are set to go using CDJ's just honestly have the easiest time rolling up to a club and spinning. There is still an anti-controllerist vibe from a lot of promoters, so it's something to consider as well. And not all places have turntables installed anymore, but a lot of them can make them happen if you need them. Do you want to buck the trend, or go with the traditional? It's up to you.

And if you're looking to spend about $1000 on a controller, you can easily get a turntable setup or CDJ setup for about the same cost. Honestly, just take a little time, watch craigslist and buy/sell forums, and it can happen. CDJ-400's and CDJ-800 MKII's go for ~$400 each, and then getting a mixer (no need for a dvs and computer in that setup, just use USB stick or burn CD's). Turntables, well you could find a great deal on techs potentially, but also look at Numark TTX and Numark TT-200, Stanton ST-150 and STR-150's, and Vestax PDX-2000 and PDX-3000. Figure tables should run you ~$600 probably less if you buy smart, and you can even find some deals on techs if you watch closely enough. Then you're looking at 250-400 ish for a soundcard / software for Traktor or Serato (I've seen the SL1 boxes go for $250 on craigslist).

The big thing you'd have to accommodate is mixer cost, but you could always get a cheap one and upgrade down the line. Considering the best mixers are really damned expensive, it's not a bad option anyway so you have time to figure out what kind of mixer you really want to have at home.

Well, the other option is going with a controller. And other people have a lot more to say about that. But don't rule out a "traditional" setup off the bat unless you really want to be using a controller. Because it IS within reach if you're looking at the more expensive controllers. There are a lot of good controllers out there.

Personally I love the feel of vinyl, and that itself is priceless IMO. The only reason I really would love to get CDJ's is to remove the computer from my setup entirely, and I just can't afford to do so yet. And just spinning on vinyl, unless you really have money to burn, really isn't economically feasible these days unless you're playing a lot of older tracks or already have built up a collection. I have friends who use controllers and love them, but personally, it's just not for me. I've thought about getting one just for ease instead of having to lug my turntables around for house parties and the like, and for that kind of thing I'd probably just go for a VCI-300 or Twitch. (Yes, I'm in the minority on here of really liking Serato's software).

But I really think there is an aspect of professionalism when someone is using CDJ's or Turntables that is hard to put a price on. And that's my opinion, I know people differ on that.

Other thing to consider as well, is you'll need a decent set of headphones. There's many articles on here about it and other places, and it really comes down to what your budget is and what you want. My recommendation is the AIAIAI TMA-1's if you like ON ear headphones, or the Pioneer HDJ-2000's if you like over ear. Those are both pretty pricey though, and if you're going with a less expensive set of cans.... well, I like the Pioneer line (500, 1000, 1500, 2000 :P).

And honestly at home? I've been really happy with my 5.1 surround sound computer speakers that I have hooked up to my decks. It's not perfect, but it works and it's relatively cheap. You can spend extra money on really good speakers, but you probably won't be bringing them around with you off the bat, and I'd save that extra money to put into your setup.

Hope that makes sense. That is my honest suggestion for anyone looking to start off who has a bit of a budget to work with. It's not simple. It requires a lot of leg-work looking for the right deals online and whatnot, but it can be done.

In the end, the biggest suggestion I have, is get what you really want. Don't settle for less, and save until you can afford what you think will be best for you spinning. Too many people go for a mid-ranged controller and then realize they want to upgrade down the line, and there is a reason why the best stuff costs more. I believe that if it's worth it, you should save for it and get what you really want. Even if it takes a year or more. Because why half-ass something if you can give it your full attention and passion?

Hope this helps
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

^
    I was to lazy to type that much but it sums up my feelings as well. I prefer traktor over serato however.

Tech Student

whats everones thoughts on the numark ns6? what is a decent set of speakers that i can get that once i get good enough it will be loud enough to play at some bars/clubs playing mostly house music. Im from boston. does it really matter if i get powered speakers or non powered w amp? how much do you think ill be into all this for just to get started. I just want to get my feet wet and see if i can deal with getting into it. I want to go digital.

The ns6 is quite large and bulky. If you want to go with a controller, I highly recommend the Kontrol S4 which is currently on sale for $799. You could also go with the cheaper S2, but it lacks a few features and hardware buttons. For speakers, I also highly recommend the Alto ts112a. A pair will run you about $600. With everything including traktor(If you decide to get Traktor) plus a few essential accessories it should run you about 1600.
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

And also, Bars/clubs typically have a sound system for you to use while DJing. So in that case, if you're just looking for Home speakers/monitors, I HIGHLY recommend the KRK Rokit 5s. Which will only run you 300 for a pair new. (It's worth noting that these are studio monitors not powered speakers)
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

Tech Student

what do you think is better serato or traktor? and why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast