digitalVinyl's DJ Table Build Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Here is a picture of the frame sitting with the "counter" or whatever you'd like to call it. I plan on re-making this piece as I'm not quite happy with it. I need to get this piece super high gloss but for now it'll do just fine.

And then the tedious cutting and pocket hole screwing all the little pieces together to form up the grating:

Awesome concept but aren't you afraid that you might want more space some day ?
    Like for a timecode set up or for CDJs ?

Tech Wizard

I actually planned the width out with that in mind, if I were to build an inset I could easily fit 2 turntables and a mixer on there ;which I plan on getting at some point soon. All I'd need to do is order another piece of acrylic to raise up the laptop (which I made to be easily removable and was quite cheap). Almost all the work went into the front grill, and the lighting setup, the rest of it it actually pretty easily modifiable (even the height of the unit could be adjusted to accommodate for that).

Tech Mentor

Looks awesome man. Can't wait to see the finished product, it will be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    Awesome concept but aren't you afraid that you might want more space some day ?
    Like for a timecode set up or for CDJs ?
    It looks like it has more than enough room to hold a mixer and some CDJ/Turntables. And if he needed more room for a laptop or more equipment, it is always possible to expand using built-on or portable stands.
    13" MBP 2012 | 4 GB RAM | 2.4 GHz Intel i5
    Traktor Pro 2
    M-AUDIO Trigger Finger | Traktor Kontrol S2

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvinyl View Post
    I actually planned the width out with that in mind, if I were to build an inset I could easily fit 2 turntables and a mixer on there ;which I plan on getting at some point soon. All I'd need to do is order another piece of acrylic to raise up the laptop (which I made to be easily removable and was quite cheap). Almost all the work went into the front grill, and the lighting setup, the rest of it it actually pretty easily modifiable (even the height of the unit could be adjusted to accommodate for that).
    Sounds like you 're on the motherfucker.

Banned

This is awesome, Please tell me you're making the top so you can easily switch it out when you switch out the S4.

Tech Wizard

The top will be held down with a few L brackets and was designed to be removable in case my gear setup changes (which is inevitable). Right now the top is made from mdf but it lacks the super high gloss I want so I'll be making another one in the future out of white acrylic. I'm told very thick white acrylic is hard to come by so I'll have to source some of that out (won't get it in time for my party so this will have to do )

Tech Wizard

Seems to be a pretty popular question so I figured I'd do a mock up of 2 SL-1200's and a Xone 92, here is is below:

Seems to fit quite well, the only issue would be the height of the mixer vs the height of the acrylic laptop stand but again, this is a pretty easy swap out (4 screws) to raise it up.

Ah I love the acrylic stand! should look cool with the lights
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Tech Wizard

Alright well continuing on, I finished building the grate and did a test fit to make sure everything seemed square and the lengths were all okay:

I then decided on how exactly I would mount the tinted plexiglass to the grate structure and decided I'd build it like they put glass in a kitchen cabinet frame. This meant I had an opportunity to add another tool to my collection and a router was purchased along with a number of bits (including the rabbet bit required to set in the plexi)...yay moar tools!

On to the rabbeting out of every spot for the plexiglass to be mounted. I was a bit freaked out about starting this as I was decently proud of figuring out how to make that grating and thought for sure I would somehow crack the frame which wouldn't be cool at all. Anyways, on to the rabbeting:

Another pic of all of them all rabbet'd up!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast