The coming DJ games: a deluge of wannabes in the making?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The coming DJ games: a deluge of wannabes in the making?

Hey everyone. I've only lurked a little bit and posted less, but I thought I'd share something that I've been mulling over in my head a while.

Ean's latest blog posting made me jump on getting this out there.

Is anyone else concerned what the new DJ rhythm games (Scratch/DJ Hero) are going to do to the world of digital DJing?

Hear me out on this one... Look at Guitar Hero. Endless arguments about how "really playing the guitar" was nothing like the game. Crazy amounts of people picking up real guitars and learning to play because of the game. Certain bands and music associated with guitar and popularized as a result (i.e. "Cliffs of Dover" being a guitar aficionado song) And let's not forget, if you started playing guitar after Guitar Hero came out, you were labeled a sheep.

Do I think something similar will happen? Maybe. The success of the games is really what that depends on. But I'm mentioning this because as digital DJs we're really at the entry point for a lot of the run-off from this crowd of gamers that want to take it to "the next level." They'll most likely see the lower end Numark, Vestax, and Hercules controllers (as well as a familiar concept, interfacing with a computer instead of working off of vinyl or CDJs) as a segue into DJ fame and fortune...

I know that a lot of "Learn to DJ" books (well, the good ones anyway) start off with a warning: "don't DJ for fame or to be cool. Do it because you love the music" or something of that matter. I'm thinking that the sheer force of making the DJ's technical world seem accessible to the mainstream will be enough to overcome this caveat and stream lots of new people in that don't share this passion.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an explosion of new digital DJs by Christmas of this year because of the games, and them wanting to get started with some actual DJ kit.

Hold on, I think I hear several thousand people playing Benny Benassi in Traktor LE...

I know I'm very new (only been doing this about 3 months now) and hardly have any place to feel grizzled, annoyed, or condescending with any other newcomers. But, I thought I'd ask the community here your thoughts, fears, predictions, whatever, when it comes to this.

DJ games: good for the community, bad for the community?

It's a game who cares . If it inspires someone to actually learn the art then great . Real life has no cheat codes though .

Well, yeah, it is just a game. I was just wondering about if anyone was anticipating this really catapulting DJing (combined with an easier than ever learning curve from the new controllers coming out) into the mainstream? I know to a certain extent it's always been there... But equipment costs and practicality kept it out of reach to many... Seems those restrictions are fast evaporating.

I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, more people appreciating the art makes for a bigger pool to learn from, and more variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondershock View Post
    Well, yeah, it is just a game. I was just wondering about if anyone was anticipating this really catapulting DJing (combined with an easier than ever learning curve from the new controllers coming out) into the mainstream? I know to a certain extent it's always been there... But equipment costs and practicality kept it out of reach to many... Seems those restrictions are fast evaporating.

I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, more people appreciating the art makes for a bigger pool to learn from, and more variety.
    I think it has more to do with the music that isn't coming out for the masses than the video games that are coming out . I'm basically saying the music coming out today that most kids find through the usual avenues is lacking something that inspires people to pick up a guitar or go out and buy decks but they do have these video games that get them excited to learn a new craft . I'm not saying there is no great music coming out now because there totally . But I would have to say there is no popular music out today that would really inspire me to go out and buy a guitar or buy Traktor and a controller or decks but an entertaining simulation just might .

Tech Guru

i wannabe a dj

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    i wannabe a dj
    You need to put yourself in a microwave for 5min on high

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    You need to put yourself in a microwave for 5min on high
    Thats the way i did it! totally works!
    13"MBP - VCI-100B - M-audio oxygen 8 - Maschine - Midi Fighter[DEAD] - Audio2Dj - KRK RP8

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Meh.

If people want to be DJs because they play this game then I hope they rock the fuck out. If someone walks up to me in a club and says "I totally got 5 stars on Expert on DJ Hero. I should spin here" I'll just laugh my ass off.

Just like if anyone were to say the same thing in reference to Guitar Hero. But if it inspires them to pick up a VCI (or whatever) and work their asses off then good on them.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Jack Bastard

Games can't teach you to have a developed taste in music, and at the end of the day that's what seperates the men from the boys dj wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondershock View Post
    DJ games: good for the community, bad for the community?
    if they are popular and "news worthy" then they are good for everyone, good for the game market, good for the dj market, good for the snobs with their nose in the air looking down on people market, good for the haters, good for the peeps on this forum that like to answer newbie questions that might more and more start with: "so i have been playing this DJ game and i really want to get started with real DJing, where should i start" etc. etc.

I'm sure there is a thread a mile long on every holier then thou dj forum where internet superstars are getting their one liners in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast