Lol tip for anyone buying a macbook...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Lol tip for anyone buying a macbook...

So I'm ordering my macbook, at $1,600. And then they throw on tax putting me at something like $1,750, I say to hell with that...

I search their site to see if they give discounts for students, I'm going to be a senior this coming year. And they totally do, you just gotta click ANY highschool from a list. And that's it.

And that ended up putting my macbook back down to about.. $1,560 after tax.

No confirmation, no "proof of enrollment", just boom, done.

Does anyone else find this odd haha? Great loophole though, works even if you're not in school.

It's also outright fraud, and might even be considered misrepresentation of identity, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    It's also outright fraud, and might even be considered misrepresentation of identity, too.
    yeah not worth it for a $90 discount, but if you're going to be a senior, you qualify, so don't sweat it. Also if you work for a university or college or do any business for one for which the macbook might come in handy. And you can also get these prices from any college or university bookstore that carries the apple products.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Yes, that was nasty, especially boasting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Yes, that was nasty, especially boasting about it.
    The guy is a student. He meets the qualifications for the discount. I don't see any evidence of fraud. Apple is quite liberal with their educational discount; as long as you attend or work (in any capacity) for an educational institution you qualify. Certainly being a student is at the core of what's covered by the discount.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    The guy is a student. He meets the qualifications for the discount. I don't see any evidence of fraud. Apple is quite liberal with their educational discount; as long as you attend or work (in any capacity) for an educational institution you qualify. Certainly being a student is at the core of what's covered by the discount.
    they do seem to be super liberal with it. when i bought my macbook many years ago the girl who rung me up looked and me and asked are you in school or taking ANY classes at all? she gave me a nod and expression to just answer yes to the question, showing that they don't really check and she was just trying to save me money. i did and got almost $200 off, and all was good. she was a cool girl in my book.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Mentor

I noticed it too. the $200 some odd was difference between a Mac Book and Mac Book Pro. I was in my last month of College at the time so I didn't feel too guilty about lol.

see, an online school, even the free MIT classes, or an ableton school would qualify for this by their terms as well.

I was able to use that as well. Taking night classes to finish my degree when I bought my computer early last year, and just had to show them my school ID at the Apple store. I was expecting them to want me to bring something more in, but they didn't.

Saved a fair bit of money honestly, used it to buy a printer. :P
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

These are the terms quoted from the Apple Store; I'm not sure if Dubspot classes or whatever would qualify if they don't have the school listed on their website:

"Apple offers special education pricing on Apple computers, software and select third party products to college students, parents buying for a college student, or teachers, homeschool teachers, administrators and staff of all grade levels. Students who have been accepted to college are also eligible."

Savings is only up to $100 per computer (and $50 for other gadgets); enough to buy a printer but not a whole lot else. It's a good program, in my opinion, and well worth the cost to Apple even of subsidizing the number of scofflaws who no doubt take advantage of it. I think it's one reason Apple is still around today; when they were getting hammered in the 1990s the "education market," alongside graphics and video workshops, were considered one of the last places you could find Macs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast