Another noob/beginner thread...
    Tech Student

Default Another noob/beginner thread...

I've been spending a few months googling/youtubing/browsing beginner threads for equipment and learning a lot about DJ-ing.

I've played around with Virtual Dj and Traktor and I like Traktor a lot more. I also borrowed my friend's Vestax Spin to get the feel of a midi controller (wasn't a fan of the sliders).

My biggest dilemma (aside from being a broke college student) is deciding on the medium. Time-coded vinyl with an external mixer seems like my immediate favorite because of the appeal of scratching and the vinyl feel (I breakdance so scratching has always been an attraction). But starting off, I wonder if this is the best way to go instead of time-coded CDJ or a midi controller.

This will be mostly a hobby/djing for house parties/small local venues. I'd like to mostly mix house and hiphop with possible scratching.

As for budget? I don't really know yet. I just acquired an on-campus job that will start in August.

Midi controllers are attractive because it's an "all-in-one" solution which seems like a good inexpensive way to start. They also are the most portable. CDJs seem to be the standard now and are extremely popular. Vinyl seems pretty expensive with all the different equipment (turntables, software/soundcard, mixer, optional additional midi controllers). These are also the least portable.

For midi-controllers, mixtrack pro and kontrol s2 seem the most attractive for beginners.
    CDJs: no clue.
    Vinyl: the stanton t62s seem like good beginner turntables (for sub $100) for very basic scratching and pretty good mixing for house/electro.

Mixers: no clue, but djx 750 seem popular but from the massive threads of forums, people say Behringer is something to stay away from. basic 2/3 channel mixers seem like a good start

I'm not sure exactly what I want. I rather be able to mix well than scratch though. I was also wondering if I should buy bits and pieces over time as I piece the parts together. Ex. External Mixer and soundcard before cdjs/turntables.

Thanks a lot for your help! I've been reading DJTT forums for awhile and all the threads have been helpful in increasing my knowledge.

=]

P.S. I forgot I'm also looking into some studio monitors. KRK RP8s are so sexy, but are pretty pricey. BX8a used to be super affordable but the value jumped tremendously. Any recommendations for $300 for a pair?

Tech Wizard

From what you are saying and I could be wrong here but maybe something like a Numark NS6. It can be a midi controller but what may also appeal to you is the responsiveness of the platters. The one thing to note here is that you would be using Serato Itch which there is nothing wrong with. There is also the 4-Trak which is a Traktor version of the NS6 and has added piece of hardware to accommodate the FX heavy users. Don't misunderstand though because there is a dedicated FX area on the controller for Itch that satisfies most needs unless you are total FX whore......or just simply don't like the layout. I would recommend that you go to a local store because they will allow you some hands on time with there controllers and that will give you a good idea what to go with.

If you are broke (like I always am) I would start with something small. All in one midi controller (w/ built in soundcard). Learn the basics and find a style that you like. If you want to do college parties then a controller will go a long way (PA speakers are also key if you want to do house parties)

Do you want to spin EDM? If so scratching isn't really necessary. If your spinning a lot of hiphop, however, maybe turntables would be the way to go. The problem with TT's are they are huge and expensive, and not easy to setup in a college basement.

Are you located near a big city? Always check craigslist. you can get equipment for under half of retail price all the time. Controllers, Turntables, and speakers especially (both PA and studio monitors) are not hard to find, you just have to be patient and check every other day or so.

No one is going to tell you want YOU should buy, or whats best for YOU. The best any of us can do is give you suggestions. Mine would be start small, find your style and keep an eye out for good deals

Hope this helps, good luck to ya
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Tech Wizard

Ok so I was in a very similar situation about a year ago. Broke, just got a job at a campus dining hall, and wanted to start djing. I would really recommend you get a midi controller. CDJs are awesome, and so are turntables, but you aren't about to have the money for that anytime soon. Hell saving for a midi controller could take over a month depending on what you get, much longer if you get a $1000 controller. You won't be scratching very much, if at all, on a cheap controller, but there is SO much stuff you can do with software that can fill the void. Also, midi controllers are best suited for house parties. Space is often limited, and you are gonna have a heart attack if you have $1300+ put into equipment and drunk people are constantly badgering you and sloppily bumping your shit. So as far as midi controllers go, I'd say aim for an Kontrol S2, most other controllers in the <$500 bracket tend to feel really junky. If that is too much, than there is nothing wrong with the mixtrack pro to start off with, or the behringer CMD studio 4A is probably gonna be worlds better just because of the greater amount of controls, but it still isn't out.

Don't spend money on an S4/S2 or Pioneer CDJ/mixer system unless you really feel you want to do this for a long time, silly investment. Get a used controller from craigslist and Traktor or something similar as a starting point. You could even learn beatmatching on a controller (turn off any sync support.) Then invest when you know what you want or need.

Banned

I'd just wait a couple of months (RIGHT NEMONIC? RIGHT?) for the CMD line to come out. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Category...rs.aspx?s=O500

It's pretty much going to be the best thing that's ever happened for beginning DJS. Those controllers are $100-$150 each... 2 of those high-resolution deck controllers and a mixer controller for $450? EPIC deal. Plus the all-in-one controller is set for $300, I think, and is still miles beyond the S2.

Also, I'd caution you to NOT buy any gear based on the idea of "very basic scratching". You are NOT going to be scratching live any time soon, no matter how basic. It takes most people upwards of a year just to not sound horribly offensive at it. Plus, I feel like it's pretty well agreed upon that scratching is not to be done over electro/house, no matter how good you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    Plus, I feel like it's pretty well agreed upon that scratching is not to be done over electro/house, no matter how good you are.
    unless you're dj craze, then you can scratch over anything!
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Student

Thanks for all the help!

A midi controller seems like the best idea. I was thinking of scratching with hiphop, and just mixing with electro/house, not necessarily combining them.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kwantran View Post
    Thanks for all the help!

A midi controller seems like the best idea. I was thinking of scratching with hiphop, and just mixing with electro/house, not necessarily combining them.

NS6 for sure!!!!