Ableton vs. FL Studio...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ableton vs. FL Studio...

Hey fam! I've been DJing for a bit over 2 years now and, naturally, I want to progress into production.

As some of you may know, FL Studio is on sale for 40% off right now (I think).

I've heard a number of different things when it comes to production...

Most of what I've heard is that Ableton is the most difficult to learn, but is the most rewarding in the long run.
    I've also heard that it's not the DAW, but the person using it blah blah blah. I want to get your opinions.

Long story is... I'm broke. FL Studio is the easier and more viable option for me right now as I want to get into it asap. I'm not one for torrenting programs, otherwise I would grab a copy of Ableton and test it out myself.

Which famous producers these days are using FL Studio?

Discuss!

Thanks guys!
    MAKE SMILES
    ACER Aspire 5755 | TP 2 | MIXED IN KEY | S4 mk2 | LPD8 | MDR-V700 | ODYSSEY L STAND
    SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK| TWITTER

I don't know if 'famous producers using XYX' is exactly a productive way to select a DAW. They might have a totally crazy workflow you hate and thus selecting a specific DAW might not be productive. Let's say you just love Fatboy Slim so you need to get an Atari ST from 1987... *)

Let's ask this around, what do you want to do, produce?

*) Actually Fatboy Slim is now using Ableton Live.

I didn't say "if they're using this I'll use this," lol. I was just simply curious who is using FL Studio. It's quite obvious that most producers these days are using Ableton - and naturally, people want to use what's best.

Yes, I want to start production. Not based on anyone. Just because it's time to grow my career.

My issue is I want to start now, but can't afford Ableton. I'm worried if I grab FL Studio, I'll be wanting to switch to Ableton later - and am concerned about purchasing FL Studio would be a waste of money.
    MAKE SMILES
    ACER Aspire 5755 | TP 2 | MIXED IN KEY | S4 mk2 | LPD8 | MDR-V700 | ODYSSEY L STAND

Tech Mentor

Then go with Ableton if you have that fear.

Porter Robinson, Avicii, Afrojack, Madeon, Sidney Samson they are still using FL studio

Wow, I have not purchased Live for a long time, been upgrading it since 2.1 so yes $449 is pretty steep compared with FL Producer $199, indeed. Actually Logic Pro 9.1 for $149 is absolutely the best deal out there.

xKore also uses FL, I think Bare does too.

I'm using Ableton and I like it, everything is very straightforeward and I find myself saying to myself very often "that was easier than I thought it would be". I feel Ableton is not very intrusive, just lets you do your thing without limiting you to whatever interfaces it are there, hard to describe.

What I dont like about FL is the how flashy and mechanical looking it is, but thats preference. It's also somewhat unorganized IMO, but once again this is ALL preference.

It's all the producer and how they use the DAW, FL is by no means bad, and the producers using it are proof of that. But that doesn't mean it is for you, or not for you.

Tech Guru

Good advice is to test all of the available demos for Ableton, FLS, Reason, Cubase, Reaper, Logic, essentially all the DAWs you have time to check out, see what works the best for you. There are many ways to get the same result in music production and it is definitely a case of the more you put in, the more you get out, there is no real shortcut to quality productions.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Honestly if your running a windows computer bro, FL Studio is absolutely best option. I personally put FL Studio above Ableton anyday anyway^^

FL Studio for the money man you seriously get everything value can buy. Synth's, Great Effects, Newtone (Pitch Editor which is pre important if you ask me) and fucking free updates for life, I mean what other pro daw company does that?!?!

I will tell you now for a beginner and something to grow into and not having to strap cash on shit that Ableton doesnt have really FL shits on everything. FL Studio I would still be using today if they had a mac version. Don't let anyone tell you that its a "toy" either because its up their with the big guns and was actually voted #1 daw for value and usage last year. Its honestly the best out there imo. FL is really something fun that you can get along with great if you spend the time and effort learning it but that said its not perfect.

Try out a few others and see how you compare it, take a look at Studio One. $100 more than FL Studio and from developers who played a lead part at Cubase. It has just about everything FL has and comes with Melodyne and several loop and plugin packs. It is soft on the instruments part though.

Thanks a bunch everyone! You've all really helped me out a lot!

Right now, I'm leaning towards FL Studio! :-)
    MAKE SMILES

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast