Why are ppl using remix decks before they know how to mix A to B?
    Tech Guru

Default Why are ppl using remix decks before they know how to mix A to B?

So I've been cotemplating either purchasing the MF3D or kontrol F1 for the remix decks in traktor. As with every purchase I make, i tend to do alot of research which includes reviews, articles, and youtube videos....anyways, why do I feel like these things are going to be the worst thing to happen to digital dj'ing?

I start jumping around in recommended videos on youtube and probably 4/5 mixes/routines are absolutely terrible. Like how much do you need to know to not mix two basslines on top of eachother (skrillex lovers), or a snare on the 1, 2, 3, and 4 in a dubstep mix?

I have used ableton for a while and like what I can do with it, the real appealing thing about the remix decks is that it seems like the industry is jumping on board. So artists are finally releasing more stems to their songs etc...

I'm just scared that alot of ppl using the remix decks are going to make it even harder for digital dj's to be legit. I've already had to buy turntables just to get gigs, even though I can do the same thing on my controller.

I don't hate on ppl starting dj'ing or pushing the limit. I believe this is more for the digital dj'ing good. Just listen to your mixes b4 you post them...with your eyes closed. If something sounds different then everything you hear in other genres then chances are you messed up, figure out why and fix it. Or take criticism, don't get so offended if someone comments constructively on your mix or video.

Why do kids study "International Business Studies with a minor in Interplanetary molecular communication" before they can spell properly? Let them get on with it.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Guru

Luckily none of those kids bring down my reputation because they in a completely different field....get it? haha

yea ....
    2x Technics SL-12000 mk2 / 2x Numark HDX
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    Novation Dicer / NI Maschine / Kontrol X1 / F1
    TSP2

You haven't done enough research, because if you had, then you'd know that to date the MF3d won't get you much control over the Mix Decks. If you buy the MF3d to use with the Mix Decks, you will be disappointed.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scamo View Post
    You haven't done enough research, because if you had, then you'd know that to date the MF3d won't get you much control over the Mix Decks. If you buy the MF3d to use with the Mix Decks, you will be disappointed.

scamo
    it works with the new MF3d firmware

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/07/1...-3d-open-beta/

And to answer the OP's question pretty flashing lights make people do stupid things.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Think of it like this. We have had software around that made music making easy for years put some loops in a grid and everything is matched beforehand by some loop company. Was this a threth to the real producers? No but it was fun for those that used them. VDJ made it easy to mix a playlist with automix. was that bad for DJ's? maybe in small bars or clubs. Remix decks, Pro Tools, Logic, Live or VDJ won't make a bad producer or DJ good Practis and knowlage of music will.
    It sound by your post that you have knowlage of music so for you the remix decks should a good creative addition to your setup. And I do agree on that if you can't mix A B then remix decks are not going to make your mixes better.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Wizard

Very well said, you need a good foundation to build anything on. Crawl before you ball and mix before you remix
    Setup:Technic 1200's Mk2, Denon DN-X120 Mixer, Korg PadKontrol, Traktor Audio 6, Numark N4. CPU/Software:Lenovo G550/Traktor Pro 2.
    https://www.facebook.com/DJMeash
    https://www.soundcloud.com/djmeash

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    it works with the new MF3d firmware

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/07/1...-3d-open-beta/

And to answer the OP's question pretty flashing lights make people do stupid things.
    Oops. How did I miss that?

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Tech Guru

I really don't want to hate on anyone but i feel that maybe some new users will see this post and think about things b4 purchasing or attempting to use the remix decks full on...i mean even for those of us that have had traktor since traktor pro 1....we were slowly enabled to use sample decks and build them into routines and sets.

But for ppl who have never mixed or don't play musical instruments then they should take baby steps, buying a kontrol f1 will only get you 'cool' points if you have a solid mix already happening

I wish the APC20 could be enabled....i mean you could have control of all 8 lanes of stems with one controller and probably 2 pages of controls. So basically 4 times as many samples in one unit and I wouldn't need to purchase something new. If anyone sees a mapping let me know.