First gig August 17!

Default First gig August 17!

My friend owns a talent management agency based here in Bellingham, and in Seattle.

He's been recruiting DJ's from the area for about 6 months now, in all sorts of genres/styles. And hooks them up with shows, basically just promotion stuff.

He hit me up today and asked if I could play a set in Seattle at last supper night club, 18+, two floors, 500+ turn out. One floor bassy stuff like DnB/Dubstep/Electro/Moombah/Drumstep/Complextro and the other floor more proggy tech house, sort of stuff.

He wants me to play on the heavy floor, because that's what I mainly spin (Most modern bass music, I'd love to spin old school dubstep, but I dunno if that would fly on the system).

I'm stoked, and he said it will be finalized by friday and I'll be playing alongside 3 other DJ's on my floor.

I've NEVER played a real gig before, a couple times I've brought my stuff over to a friends for get togethers and I'll mix casually. Although I practice vigorously, and put out plenty of mixes, (including one I had him send to promoters).

I accepted eagerly, and can't wait. But I couldn't help but feel, this is pretty up there for a first gig. I've never played a real house party, or local small gig. I can't help but feel nervous, and I know I will be up there on the decks. I plan to practice and plan until the date.

Any tips on a first gig? Ways to stay calm? Plan? Share your stories also!

first of all congrats!! you've got to make that leap sometime, and like i was you're thrown right in at the deep end, sink or swim if you like... I think it's good to feel nervous, and i still get that way every time i play... a few tips that i find help me... don't over think it, have a few different crates set up with what you plan to play but don't get stuck playing from a direct set list... remember to read the crowd, if a track's not working get it off! don't try to be too adventurous, stick with what you know and play it safe, but at the same time not too conservative if you know what i mean, once you've got 'em going sou'll soon loosen up and start having fun.... but thats the most important thing!! enjoy it!!

hope that helps.

Don't get too drunk. (alcohol, my one weakness)
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Don't be afraid to play off a setlist when you're starting out. I found I would constantly be running out of time at first because it wasn't second nature yet. You can always venture off that setlist... but if you find yourself in a bind, what you've practiced at home is right there for you.

A good idea is to have groups of 3-6 songs planned out, and vary those up depending on how the crowd is feeling.

Tech Wizard

That's awesome that you get to spin what you usually like to! Don't take that for granted!
    2x CDJ900 - DJM800 - Xone XD2-53 - Ableton Akai APC40 Edition - Rekordbox - 2x HS80M - HS10W - 2x DXR12 - DSX12

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    first of all congrats!! you've got to make that leap sometime, and like i was you're thrown right in at the deep end, sink or swim if you like... I think it's good to feel nervous, and i still get that way every time i play... a few tips that i find help me... don't over think it, have a few different crates set up with what you plan to play but don't get stuck playing from a direct set list... remember to read the crowd, if a track's not working get it off! don't try to be too adventurous, stick with what you know and play it safe, but at the same time not too conservative if you know what i mean, once you've got 'em going sou'll soon loosen up and start having fun.... but thats the most important thing!! enjoy it!!

hope that helps.
    Yeah, just trying to think of ways to calm myself down before. Wonder if I can have cigarettes as I'm playing...

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    Don't get too drunk. (alcohol, my one weakness)
    I'm only 17!! I'm lucky enough they're letting me play at an 18+ club

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Don't be afraid to play off a setlist when you're starting out. I found I would constantly be running out of time at first because it wasn't second nature yet. You can always venture off that setlist... but if you find yourself in a bind, what you've practiced at home is right there for you.

A good idea is to have groups of 3-6 songs planned out, and vary those up depending on how the crowd is feeling.
    Thats a really good idea. Like find groups of tracks, that are all similar and would appeal to the same crowd, sort of have branches of mixes to move through...

But, this event is somewhat specific, anyone going will KNOW this stage will be playing the heavier side of bass music (I'ma try and sneak in some true dubstep!!).

Quote Originally Posted by David3151 View Post
    That's awesome that you get to spin what you usually like to! Don't take that for granted!
    Oh, I know. At first I was just looking for ANY gig whether it's a house party or a silly 16+ club. But in both settings i have to REALLY play to the crowd, stuff i don't like necessarily/don't want to play. which don't get me wrong is the nature of DJing, but playing to a room thats loving the music as much as you are, will be awesome.

Honestly, I'm to the point in Djing where i can sort of just do it. I'm not awesome, or entirely flawless, but I can do it. And I was considering just stopping searching for gigs that aren't up my alley and concentrate on production until stuff like this comes around.

Its natural to get butterflys. I still do a bit.... and I've been playing out since 1992.

Choose a few songs that you know will blend in right off the bat... then have FUN. Just be yourself, dance around and get into it... you will forget all the people and try to make eye contact with the front guests... drop a smile.

Don't smoke, have a your drink low so they cannot see your drinking. You are supposed to be professional. My little trick is at the end of my set I then rase my hidden beer bottle to the crowd, they cheer.. and then I take a sip in full view. They go nuts and clap and cheer.

HAVE FUN!
    Last edited by Tommi Bass; 07-14-2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Additional info..