How to record a set with CDJ-900s, DJM-900 and Traktor Scratch Pro?
    Tech Student

Default How to record a set with CDJ-900s, DJM-900 and Traktor Scratch Pro?

Hey everyone,

I've been asking this question around to a few people and no one seems to have a direct answer.

My question:
    How do I record a live set using Traktor Scratch Pro while using 2 CDJ-900s and a DJM-900 as my mixer/controller?

The method I've been told to use: connect it to GarageBand and record from there. Now I'm thinking there has to be a much simpler route and would appreciate any help from the gurus on this forum.
    I'm not the most tech savvy person but a quick learner. I've fiddled around with the software trying to find a simpler way to record but alas, its not happening for me.

Any insight would be awesome.

Thanks everyone!
    BM

Check the routing options in Traktor and use its internal recorder
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

I'm guessing here but you could use a phono cable out of rec out on djm into an input on djm and then fiddle with settings in traktor to use the internal recorder.

Might also be able to use sound flower
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

The Official Way
    The correct way to do it since you have a DJM900NXS. Use the internal mixer and use a channel with the Pioneer DJM900NXS tool and set it to record. What blows about doing it thsi way is you lose 1 channel from that sweet sweet 4 channel mixer.

The Unofficial Way
    The other method is to use AUDAcity and use the master 2 out to mini jack into the mic input and hit record on AUDiacity and play your set. Then after you can split the tracks after and burn a non continous mix and save as a .wav.

Both methods work great. I personally like to use the unofficial way since it ready to be worked with.

The UNofficial way type 2
    Route Traktor audio into ableton. Then use the arrangement view to record the set. The plus about doing it this way is you can add additional VST effects to your mix, 4 track the mix, Fix errors in the mix. The sky is the limit really. =)
    Last edited by hrtbrkd; 07-12-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Tech Mentor

I pretty much am a DJM expert. >.< I have way to much time on my hands and have owned most of the mixer brands from PIO. Even designed one of the 2 MIDI Controllers .TSI used for the DJM900NXS on the net.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by hrtbrkd View Post
    The Official Way
    The correct way to do it since you have a DJM900NXS. Use the internal mixer and use a channel with the Pioneer DJM900NXS tool and set it to record. What blows about doing it thsi way is you lose 1 channel from that sweet sweet 4 channel mixer.
    Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. Ok, so let's try the official way :-)

I don't mind losing the one channel as I'll still have three to play with. Can you please explain how I accomplish this in detail? I haven't done this before so I'm a bit of a techno-peasant in this regard. If you can help me out that would be awesome, I'd be muchos happy!

Thanks in advance!

BM

RCA cables from Record out (it's right next to master 2, the RCA master output) into one of the LINE or CD/LINE (NOT PHONO) inputs on channel 1, 2, 3, or 4. On the Mixer Output tab in your Nexus Setting Utility, make sure you have whatever channel you've plugged into set correctly: if you plug Rec out into channel 2 CD/Line, for example, make sure usb 3/4 is set to CH 2 Timecode CD/Line (this tells the soundcard what input to look at for incoming sound on that channel). Then you can either set that input as your record input in Traktor, or use a program like Ableton or Audacity to do the job. If you're having trouble figuring out which input you want in your settings, try leaving the noise effect running on the mixer or run an ipod/etc. into it so you have signal and check which input you're getting a signal on in your software.

This means only that you can't have timecode controlling whatever channel you're using to record. If you use remix decks or a normal Traktor deck without timecode on that channel, you should be just fine. The only limitation is that I believe you need to keep the selector for the channel output on USB so that the soundcard is active on that channel, so you couldn't say put a CDJ on that channel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    I don't mind losing the one channel as I'll still have three to play with.BM
    I don't have a DJM900 but I do have a DN-X1600 which should work somewhat similar. If they do you won't totally lose a 4th channel you'll just lose the ability to have timecode drive the 4th channel. In my setup I have 3x1200's setup for 3 of the mixer channels. The 4th channel I use the input (mixer to traktor) for recording and the output (traktor to mixer) I use for a remix deck. So I still have 4 decks in Traktor that are all usable and can record sets from the mixer.